Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Marian Hill

One Liner: That Apple commercial song with the wall dancing.
Wikipedia Genre: Electronic, synth-pop, alternative R&B
Home:  Philadelphia

Poster Position: 11

Day: Saturday at 5:30
Weekend Two Only.

Thoughts:  I'm sorry, but the 11th row for this band?  I mean, I liked that Apple commercial as much as the rest of us, but really?  Spotify has a live version of this song, and when the audience understands it is the song to be played, they lose their collective screaming mind.  I just can't imagine getting that jazzed up and screaming for this particular song.  I mean, it is a vaguely pleasant piano and electronics track, and you can easily sing along to the "down diddy down diddy down" portion.  But what is happening?
If that guy is really playing those same notes on the keyboard every time, it sure seems like he is doing it wrong.  You are already using electronics, loop that shit, yo.  I enjoy that song well enough - catchy for sure - but after a while the repetitiveness starts to bug.

The band name apparently comes from the names of two characters in the musical The Music Man.  Marian Paroo and Harold Hill.  Of course, I mean, who wouldn't name their band after that?  Although Paroo Hill would have both made more sense and sounded cooler (and more like poop).

They have a new album out, and because I've been busy at work, I just keep hitting play again on it instead of trying to review them or find something else.  I very much do not want to hear it anymore.  It is called Unusual, released in 2018.  The top song is the album opener, "Subtle Thing," with just over 2 million streams.
Again, pretty catchy beat, I really can't take much issue with the song.  Except that I don't enjoy this album at all and want to stop listening to it immediately.  Just kind of grinds on me after a while.  

No thanks.

No comments: