Monday, June 4, 2018

Kydd Jones

One Liner: Local rapper with pretty good beats and OK lyrics
Wikipedia Genre: Hip hop, R&B
Home:  Austin

Poster Position: 24

Day: Sunday at 11:30
Weekend Two Only.

Thoughts:  This guy flows between a Kanye-esque flow (see "Now & Then," his third most popular track on Spotify), an Andre 3000 thing (see "DOA"), and a Future sort of auto-tuned trap thing ("Brand New"), but then can also devolve into a crappy Drake-like sound ("Revenge" or "WRU").  Enjoy the first two but am not a fan of the later styles.  He's from Austin, which is very cool, and his short Spotify bio says that he has performed with loads of other people like Danny Brown and Yung Lean and has opened for folks like Ice T, Public Enemy, and Mobb Deep.  His Wikipedia bio also sucks, although it lists his name as just Kydd (without the Jones), although I think that is wrong because YouTube has a bunch of videos for a white rapper named Kydd.  Now I'm entirely confused.  

First a song, then we investigate.  Top track (by a ton) is "M.I.A.," which has 263k streams.  Most of the rest of his songs are below 10k, except for one that features Yelawolf.
Cool beat with a nice lead in, and cool flow.  Lyrically pretty bare - although I'm having trouble even following them, kinda mumbles them and then puts effects over them to make it hard to follow along.  Seems like I should watch my back though, yo.

Then the Yelawolf track, and Yela normally annoys the crap out of me, also has a very good beat.  "Hall Pass" has 53k streams.
Yeah, baby.  I want to jam that beat right there for all time.  But it is Yela that sounds like Ceelo Green trying to rap?  Or is that Kydd adding yet another impersonation to his quiver?

Well, I've tried to dig around and find a story about him or an interview, and all I can come up with is this jenky one liner.  His ACL bio is about as sparse as the Spotify one.  Two albums, and then a bunch of singles.  2016's Sounds in My Head 2: The Righteous Edition and 2018's Homecoming.  I think that, overall, the new album is better, but it also has more bullshit singing and I'm not a fan of the R&B singing stuff - just rap man!  But "Copilot" and "Icon" and "MIA" are pretty solid sounding.

I might go just check this out for curiosity's sake - not too many Austin-based rappers out there, but this one isn't blowing my doors off.

No comments: