Friday, June 15, 2018

The Nude Party

One Liner: Goofy name, but tasty countrified rock
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, going with rock, psych rock, garage rock, alt. country?
Home:  

Poster Position: 27

Day: Sunday at 1:00
Weekend One Only.

Thoughts:  The band name is garbage.  I mean, you're just never going to make it far with a silly ass name like that.  Also, when I searched YouTube, I was disappointed to not receive any awesome NSFW videos of people partying without clothes.  Which I would have had to watch in the name of research.  So in the end, I feel like I got robbed here.  You know what I mean.  But, aside from the band name, the music is a good time.  Here is the top track, with only 29k streams, but a fun, silly tune with a touch of Bob Dylan in the lead singer.  "Chevrolet Van."
Its the ending inflection of his words that makes it sound like Dylan.  That slightly froggy dismount to the notes that is classic caricature-building stuff on Bobby D.  Ehhh!  Ehhh!  Although their actual van is a Ford Econoline, so this is some false advertising bullshit and I want my money back.
Then the second most popular track is a shaggy little Hand-Jive/Bo Diddly Beat shamble that is also solid.  This is pretty good stuff.  Here is that second one, called "Life's a Joke."
OK, I get that these guys aren't taking themselves seriously - that video is exhibit 1 - but their music is fun.  I bet they'd be highly enjoyable live.

I said Dylan before, but I'd put them more in the Strokes bucket, or The Doors at times, or even Velvet Underground for bits.  None of those band comparisons would make me pumped to see these guys, but I really do think they sound legit.  Oh, and the new song ("Records") released on May 2018, sounds like some classic Stones bluesy rock.

This article says they got their start playing actual naked parties in Boone, North Carolina. What in the actual hell. Like I can't even truly imagine what the hell this looks like.  I mean I guess I can imagine it, but, like, I guess I can't imagine feeling like this was ever a good idea?  Just like a bunch of dudes with semis, trying not to directly stare at the ladies, but failing, while everyone tries to jam out to a rock show?  I just, nope.  Can't wrap my head around it.  I'd need all the drugs to think that was a good plan for a night.

That being said, so long as I am allowed to keep my threads on, I'm in for checking these guys out.

No comments: