Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Supa Bwe

One Liner: Another sing/song rapper without much good to say.
Wikipedia Genre: Rapper, Singer, Songwriter, Producer, Audio Engineer
Home:  Chicago

Poster Position: 19

Day: Saturday at 12:45
Weekend One Only.

Thoughts: More soundcloud style rap - hard beats, along with mediocre lyrics that are half-sung/ half-rapped.  Or screamed.  Some of these tunes - looking directly at you, "The World Tournament (Year of the Dog)" - just have this dude yelling about his sad feelings over a mediocre beat.  Actually, I take back my opening line up there.  His currently most popular song has a good beat.  Much of the rest of these songs do not have good beats.  Here is the Netflix & Chill tweaking "Breakfast & Chill" about boning all night long.  265k streams.
Moody, spacey open that turns into a trap banger beat.  I like that part.  But the hangdog ass lyrics, pleading for the boning, is not good.  

More about this guy - real name is Frederick S. Burton, and he grew up in Chicago.  You pronounce the name as Super Boy.  He grew up listening to a lot of punk from his mom and rap from his dad (mentioning Master P and Busta, specifically).  In another interview, he says that his sound is "a conglomerate of english fuck you dystopian punk and Rick James’ cold blooded, I’m going to do my cocaine and smack you about it and Prince’s ambiguous individuality."  I have no clue what the hell that is supposed to mean.  But you do you, super boy.

In a video interview (linked below), he talks about some other rapper named Trippie Red stealing his style and how it flattered him at first, but now it pisses him off.  That Trippie guy is apparently stealing Supa's style entirely, which wasn't especially popular for the prior ten years when Supa Bwe was trying to make it, but now is hot and Supa feels like he's not getting credit that Trippie is taking.  Or something.  Seems like it sucks for Supa.  And I just went and looked up the Trippie guy, and yes, he does sound just like this (but is extremely messed up looking, like Marlon Wayans cut the face off of Lil Wayne and tried to loosely wear it as a mask).  I don't honestly care who wins in their battle for this style of crappy singing rap.  Good luck to you both.

He just has one album, 2017's Finally Dead, which is worse.  The top song from that album, his most listened-to overall, is "Thot Goddess (Sailor Moon)," with 662k streams (which is pretty solid for a song by an artist on the 19th row of the ACL poster).
As we have frequently established in this space, I don't much care for auto-tuned singing over the top of good hip hop beats.  This one is slightly catchy - I don't hate it - but still I'm not looking to hear more of it.  Second most listened to track from this album is the cheerily titled "I Hate Being Alive."  Neat.  Oh.  And now I see this other video where he admits he tried suicide in part because of playing around with Xanax back in the day.  Criminy.  He still uses Xanax to deal with bad anxiety, which is kind of insane after a history of issues with it.  That hate my life song, jeez - the lyrics are like "FUCK MY LIFE!" and then yelling about weird shit I don't understand like being "hard like 36" and telling a witch to hurry up and saying Tom Brady is a bullet. (?)  All with a very dank beat.  So that'll be neat, a bunch of stoned kids screaming about FML!!! in the park in the Fall.

I'll give you one more, just for curiosity's sake, his new single, "Take It Outside," which popped in April and has 127k streams.
Nope, that doesn't get any better.  I can see the appeal of this style of party, popcorn rap, but I wouldn't choose to spend my time in the park with it.

No comments: