Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Amber Mark

One Liner: Soul pop and R&B like Norah Jones tried to make modern pop
Wikipedia Genre: no Wikipedia entry, so I'll go with soul pop and R&B
Home:  NYC

Poster Position: 15

Day: Sunday at 12:15
Both Weekends.

Thoughts: Reading this 2017 article about her, she seems like a lovely person and her sole album, 2017's 3:33am, sounds like a cathartic (and slightly depressing) experience everyone should enjoy.  I have to say it missed me.  Nothing on here is bad, just more like not my style of music - alt-R&B or soul pop are the two best ways I could describe it.  Got some danceable stuff to it, but nothing overtly party-centric.  That article says that her sister called it "tribal soul," so OK.  That means nothing to me.  How I about I give you something for you to taste test it yourself.

She had an "album," that is only 7 songs long, from 2017, and then an EP from 2018 called Conexao. Her most listened to track is from that album, this is "Way Back" with 7.5 million streams.
Has a British feeling, like uh, who was the lady who came to ACL a year or two ago with all the sassy dance tunes?  Jess something.  Jess Glynne.  Good voice, kind of generically basic 90's Brit dance track.  Not bad, just not something I'm going to keep listening to by choice.  Her currently most popular track, and second most-listened to, is "Love Me Right" from that new EP.  6.5 million streams.
Again, pretty plain jane track and very nice vocals over the top.  Again, not my thing.  If you are into this modern day Sade type stuff, then go get some.  Not for me.

No comments: