Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Raiche

One Liner: R&B gal and one good sample of Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes.

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, I'll peg it as R&B
Home: Massachusetts

Poster Position: 19

Weekend Two Only.
Saturday at 5:20 on the BMI Stage

Thoughts:  This is another one where a simple search on Wikipedia brings up a treasure trove of information, none of which has to do with this woman.  Six people on Wikipedia have this last name, including a silver medalist for the Canadian Summer Paralympics the year I was born.  Otherwise, this is a plane maker.  Or an R&B singer, I guess.

All photos I have seen of her involve fingernails that would make Wolverine blush.  In the one interview I read of her she name checks Erykah Badu twice, so maybe she wants to collaborate at the Fest.

The song that hits just perfectly for me is all because of the sample.  Did you love the Dead Presidents soundtrack?  One time, a million years ago, a friend and I went in to a record store down on the Drag in Austin because he had some credit he wanted to spend there.  He had several discs he wanted to buy, one of which was that Presidents of the United States album with "Peaches" and "Lump" on it.  Being that this friend was always in a perpetual fog of marijuana, beer, and whatever other substance he came across, he grabbed the Dead Presidents soundtrack instead and bought that.  When he figured out his mistake, he was sort of pissed, but just decided to give me the disc.  Which was awesome - that soundtrack is an absolute pile of bangers. Almost all 1970's soul, funk, and R&B - Curtis Mayfield, James Brown, Isaac Hayes, Al Green, Aretha - and one track that I hadn't been familiar with before, "I Miss You" from Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes.  This track samples that song, and so it is the immediate standout to me - much better than the rest of the generic trapp-ish stuff on her Spotify.  "Complicated" has 988k streams.
For real, go listen to that soundtrack.  Also, Harold Melvin took on special meaning once Snoop Dogg once decreed that "you without me is like Harold Melvin without the Blue Notes."  Which I didn't understand in 1993, but then came to understand in like 1996.


Not a fan of the song "Money Pies."  That title grosses me out.  Of course, that is her top track at 1.1 million streams.
The old started from the bottom now I'm here track.  If you have money pies and get to count and talk to your money, then I don't think you still have to hang up your laundry.  You can afford a dryer by then.  "Drive," which is the title track to her one album, and her fifth most-streamed track, pushes that indie-girl-nasal voice thing too much in my opinion.

Strong voice and pretty face, she may be the next big thing in R&B.  Not my thing.

No comments: