Wednesday, August 4, 2021

LP Giobbi

One Liner: Local EDM lady.

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but House
Home: Austin!

Poster Position: 20

Weekend Two Only.
Saturday 2pm at Tito's Stage.

Thoughts:  
Well, I was kinda hoping this was going to be some dank rap, although I have no clue why the band name denoted a rapper in my mind.  Just seemed right.  Instead, this is EDM party-time.

No albums, just a pile of singles.  I was kind of generally enjoying the tunes for a while, but have reached a point in the songs that they are bugging me.  "Gas Me Up" made me want to switch to listen to something else, and there are too many remixes of the same songs in here so that it feels like I'm hearing the same thing over and over.  She really likes the power female singer accompaniment - like some mid-90's C&C Music Factory thing from 30 years ago.

Her label bio says that she was born in Oregon but is based in Austin now.  So that is cool.  She studied piano at UC Berkeley.  Real name is Leah Chisholm.  One article about her says this for an origin story: "she played piano at various locations throughout San Francisco until one fateful night she was approached by a producer from Daft Punk while playing jazz piano at popular spot Madrone Art Bar. Recognizing her talent as a musician, she was recruited to be part of an all-female electronic band."  Pretty neat.

Top track is "Meet Again."  5.5 million streams. 

It sounds like this track got a big boost by being on a few Spotify playlists during the pandemic.  She's got a handful of other tracks with plays in the millions, but I'm going to give you her most recent tune, "Carry Us," with 620k streams.
Big sound.  Huge singer added in there, and the bouncy house pianos are pretty fun.  I tried to find a report on where the name came from, but I have no clue why she is called LP Giobbi.  Makes me think of a glob of snot for some reason.

Probably wouldn't go see this one, but if you're into EDM, would be high energy fun.

No comments: