Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Daydream Masi

One Liner: Annoyingly genre-less rap/singer with Caribbean flairs

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but this is hip hop, soul, electronic, and R&B mixed up
Home: Akron, Ohio

Poster Position: 19

Weekend Two Only.
Friday at 1:45 on the Miller Lite Stage

Thoughts:  I'm just generally in a bad mood right now, and all I can think as I listen to this is that I hate it.  Sorry, if this is your favorite thing in the world, but I've rolled through all 15 or so songs from this guy and I just wish I'd never heard any of it.  Just feels like someone is trying really hard to tap into this little zone between hip hop and reggae and indie and its all just making me frustrated that I don't want to hear the artists on this year's poster.

His top track was on the soundtrack to the suicide show from a year or two ago - 13 Reasons Why.  I never watched it.  I don't want to watch a show about suicide, at all.  It's like a friend of mine told me to watch Beartown, which I was then excited about, until it dawned on me that it was the rape show.  Dammit.  Anyway, "Favorite Drug" was the song used on that soundtrack, and it is this guy's biggest hit by a ton, with 7.4 million streams.
Got that care free Caribbean feel because of the drums and the dorks going wooooooooaaaaaahooooooooeeewwwwww! every once in a while.  It's just fine.  It's a fine song.  Shut up.  I think it is the whispery vocals and the autotuning that make me angry.  I don't know what it is.  Shut up.

No real albums, just singles and two EPs.  Two of his other songs have over a million streams, but I'm going to give you the only one in his top ten from the newest EP.  "Rockin and Wavin," with 100k streams.
Got those Caribbean feels again from the little xylophone hits.  But also a little more dark, with the sounds that kick in during the chorus.  Again, that song is fine.  I'm sure it inspires some people to be good people or something.  It inspires deep and lasting malaise in me.  I want it to stop.

I mean, more than likely we aren't even having the Festival anyway.  Stupid Delta variant is going to make the whole damn thing get shut down.  But just in case we have it after all, I will not go see this guy.


No comments: