Monday, August 2, 2021

Sir Woman

One Liner: Half of Wild Child going out to do a new soul project

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, I'll peg it as indie soul?
Home: Austin!

Poster Position: 19

Saturday of Weekend One at 1pm on the Tito's Stage.


Thoughts:  Her real name is Kelsey Wilson, but she makes a really nice, funky, soulful set of songs that kind of reminds me of Lake Street Dive.  She was previously (and maybe still?) part of Wild Child, the local Austin band that did a more rock-forward folky thing than these tunes.  They played ACL a few years back, but I didn't see the show.  I read an interview/article where she said that the partying lifestyle of Wild Child had gotten to her, so she finally kicked drink and drugs for a year and is feeling better now.

I like this origin story for the name as well: 
It was a confused security guard who spied Wilson wandering around the woods of a music festival in a gender-indiscernible bundle of blankets who bestowed the name Sir Woman upon her. He called out “Sir!” and then “Woman!” and the name immediately clicked in Wilson’s head.

“It fits so well,” she said. “I just, like, grapple with my masculine side all the time.”

But it's not just her - there is a full band here.  And they won best new artist at the Austin Music Awards in 2020.  Pretty cool.

No full album, just some singles and one 2020 EP called Bitch.  The top track is the opening song from that EP - "Highroad" - with just over 6 million streams.

Nice groove and a pretty voice to go with it.  I dig the breakdown about half way through the track, all jazzy space exploration action.  Only one other track has more than a million streams, this one is called "Making Love."  2.2 million streams.

That is a fun video.  Looks like she put out a call to the world to send in footage of people dancing and singing to the song, and then she spliced it all together to become that video.  Fun pandemic distraction!

I'll toss one more out there - this is the title song from the EP - "Bitch."  107k streams.
A quiet, jazzy little number there.  Also, those background singers are money.  Pretty tune.

I like this.  I'd go check it out at the Fest.

No comments: