Thursday, August 19, 2021

Katie Pruitt

One Liner: Quasi-country singer with a great voice and very good debut album

Wikipedia Genre: Americana, alternative country, alternative rock, folk, pop
Home: Nashville

Poster Position: Late Addition

Weekend One Only.
Saturday at 3:20 on the BMI Stage.

Thoughts:  I've actually heard of her!  Hooray for me!  I reviewed her only album in the midst of the pandemic lockdown.

Katie Pruitt - Expectations.  Read about her in some sort of Who's Next! article about up and coming artists, and after giving her top single a shot I liked it well enough to try out the whole album.  Pretty good - you'd call it county, but not in the same way that most of country music sounds.  More like the Taylor Swiftian, ballad love-song type of Country, or the alternative-country stuff of Kacey Musgraves, or the soft-blues of John Mayer at times (see "Expectations").  Hell, I hear Miley Cyrus in "My Mind's a Ship That's Going Down."  She can crank it with her voice, like on the album closer "It's Always Been You," and she has some confessional tunes like "Loving Her," a pretty tune about being nervous to use a girl's name in a song for fear that people would figure out that she was gay.  I thought "Grace Has a Gun" was going to be the top track here - its got a great set of lyrics and a haunting wooooaahhhh of a chorus that sticks in my head.  But instead, it was "Out of the Blue" that tops the stream count with 1.4 million.
Another one with John Mayer-esque guitar licks and sound.  And otherwise, just a nice little love song.  This album has been a welcome surprise.  I find myself singing along to little snippets of it when I'm wandering around the house or walking the dog.  Has catchy little bits and a great voice, I like it.

Cool!  In 2017, she was awarded something called the Buddy Holly Price from the Songwriters Hall of Fame.  That certainly sounds badass.  "The Holly Prize is an award made possible by Songmasters and administered and juried by the SHOF as a tribute to the legacy of SHOF inductee Buddy Holly. Since 2010, the Holly Prize annually recognizes and supports a new “all-in-one songwriter “— an exceptionally talented and inspired young musician/singer /songwriter whose work exhibits the qualities of Holly’s music: true, great and original."  Past winners don't ring many bells, but I've heard of Ben Howard and Sylvan Esso!

I'd 100% go check her out.

No comments: