Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Abby Sage

One Liner: Low key Billie Eilish-esque alt-pop

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but alt-pop, bedroom pop
Home: Toronto

Poster Position: Not on the poster
Weekend One Only.  
Saturday.

Thoughts:   Abby Sage Richardson was at the center of a notorious 1870 murder trial after her former husband shot and killed her second husband.  That first husband, by the way, claimed to be a lawyer when they married but she later found out he had no law practice and made what little money he had through land speculation and blackmail.  Sounds like a great dude.

This Abby Sage is a Canadian who immediately reminds me of the style of Billie Eilish.  Pop beats and semi-whiny/whispery vocals.  A bio I read said that she grew up with music because her dad was in a bunch of bands in Toronto when she was growing up.  Doesn't say what bands, so I'll just have to assume he was in Rush and the Tragically Hip.  Or maybe Nickelback.  She has gotten to open for Suki Waterhouse, so maybe that is how she popped on to the poster at this late date?

No real albums, just two EPs - 2021's Fears of Yours & Mine and 2022's The Florist.  Her top track is from that more recent EP, "Backwards Directions."  6.3 million streams.
I'm a sucker for backwards shit.  That Pharcyde video is always the gold standard to me, but this is fun to watch.  The song is fine - nothing all that exciting to me.  Her only other tune with more than a million streams is "The Florist," also from that newer EP, with 2.5 million.
Another quiet one that never really seems to take off.  Like I said, her general vibe to me is Eilish sounding, which as you may know is not a popular vibe in my head.  I'll let her pass and hope that everyone else enjoys her.

No comments: