Thursday, August 24, 2023

Ivan Cornejo

One Liner: Spanish songs that may be love songs maybe?

Wikipedia Genre: regional Mexican, urban sierreno, alternative corrido
Home: Riverside, CA

Poster Position: 3 (7)
Both Weekends.  
Sunday at 5:15.

Thoughts:   Every once in a while, I understand a word.  One of these songs says "pendejo" a few times, and that is a word I definitely learned while at Martin Junior High in the 80's.  My Spanish-speaking classmates definitely helped me understand all of the insults that could possibly be lobbed at a glass-wearing, freckle-covered red head.  He just said "corazon!"  I know that one too!

This dude is from Riverside, California, but all of this that I have heard thus far is Spanish.  A lot of it is sort of low key indie music, like some plaintiff Olivia Rodrigo song about love.  I couldn't tell you what it is actually about, but that is the feeling.  Some of the tunes are more traditional Mexican styles.  I assume those are these styles, which I have never heard of before - regional Mexican, urban sierreno, alternative corrido.  Weeeeeeeee!

The Wikipedia makes it clear how unpopular this is: "Cornejo's debut album Alma VacĂ­a peaked at number two on the US Billboard Regional Mexican Albums chart and number seven on the Top Latin Albums chart. The album sold 7,000 album-equivalent units and peaked at number 156 on the Billboard 200 chart, and remained in the top ten of the Regional Mexican Albums chart for 35 weeks."  So this album is CRUSHING the charts, but sold 7,000 copies?  Really?

Apparently, this song went viral on TikTok and is now his top streamer.  "Esta Danada."  209.4 million streams.
He doesn't look old enough to be driving that truck.  Oh!  He said "por favor!"  I know that one!  But yeah, I'm just not going to listen to that music if I have no clue what is being said.  if the underlying music was super awesome, then maybe.  But with generic guitar strumming and all-Spanish words?  Not necessary for me.

No comments: