Tuesday, August 8, 2023

BAILEN

One Liner:  HAIM vibes and harmonies from NYC siblings

Wikipedia Genre: Alternative
Home: NYC

Poster Position: Level 4 (17) 
Both Weekends.
Friday.

Thoughts: This band is a family thing - two fraternal twin brothers and their little sister - making music under their surname.  Pretty cool.  Wikipedia claims they are alternative, and I guess that could be correct, but the comparisons that are popping up in my head are more like HAIM.  Is HAIM alternative?  Sometimes I also hear First Aid Kit or something in that alt country/folkie area.  Anyway, I wonder if it is fun doing music with your siblings.  Feels like that could be fun but also sometimes very annoying.  Their parents are apparently classically trained musicians with a diverse record collection that inspired the kids to go into music.

Two albums - 2019's Thrilled to Be Here and 2023's Tired Hearts.  One song is much more popular than anything else in the catalog - "Something Tells Me" has 19.6 million streams.

That one kicks off like FAK for sure.  And yes, I absolutely just laughed out loud when it was the dog he needed to love forever.  Poor little ginger guy.  And then I laughed again at the end.  Dammit.  Cheap jokes but I'm cheap.  Nice song, goofy and funny video, what's not to love?  The other songs that break a million streams are all on the old album, but I figure you need at least one from the newest thing to peep the new sound.  That would be "Call It Like It Is," with 291k streams.

Poppier for sure - I prefer the less poppy stuff, but at the same time, this is catchy and the harmonies are nice.  But 100%, if I just let this band play for a while, I really enjoy the overall vibe from them - good harmonies, sweet songs, relaxed vibe.  I catch some Carole King vibes on the 2019 Mixtape #1.  I'd go check it out.

No comments: