Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Shooks (2023)

One Liner: Local rock that sounds like UK alternative

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia - alternative rock, shoegaze
Home: Austin

Poster Position: Level 4 (22)
Weekend One Only.
Saturday.

Thoughts:  These dudes were here in 2021, and back then I noted how limited their streaming catalog was (five songs), which made it hard to really get a feel for them.  Well, two years later they've really stepped up their output and now boast all of nine songs on Spotify for me to check out.  

British-sounding rock, with more than a little shoegaze sound woven into the Arctic Monkeys-ish sound.  There is a musician based in the Netherlands named Shook, and an American country singer named Sarah Shook, and a township in rural Minnesota, but the last time they came to the Fest the only thing online about this band is a crappy Facebook page. 

They used to play a residency at the Continental Club, which is pretty legit.  Back in 2021, they claimed that a full album was getting its final touches, but that apparently didn't work out because all they offer on Spotify are singles and EPs.  Their band name origin story is terrible: "So, uh. I was driving with a friend ... we were goofing off driving around Zilker and he said “oh that’s where the wooks live”, and I thought he said “shooks” and I said, “that’s actually a really good band name,” and he said “that’s a terrible band name,” and I said “well too bad I’m calling my band that,”… there you go."  Wow.

Their top song is "Rum!" with 40k streams on Spotify.  But at least they did a real video for it!
Dig that guitar fuzz.  That lead singer should be modeling things that require an inch-deep crease in the chin.  That is a serious butt chin.  If they ever get noticed, he's going to be the heart throb of the band in 4 seconds.

Hold on, I just realized that the lead singer is Charlie Sexton's son.  Holy crap.  Well, of course he is a good musician who can play guitar.  Jeez.  Talk about hiding the lede in every article I read about the band...  Their most recent single is called "O2," and was released in 2022.  18k streams.
I dig what they have going on.  Nothing flashy, not revelatory, but enjoyable rock and roll action.

Pretty good stuff - although like with many of the bands at this time, I doubt I'll be at the park by noon on Sunday.  Probably not going to see them, but they're definitely interesting.  If they had a spot later in the day - I'd easily give them a shot.

No comments: