Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Miya Folick

One Liner:  I honestly have nothing for this - another perfectly acceptable folk pop singer?

Wikipedia Genre:  Folk Rock, Indie Rock, Indie Pop
Home: L.A.

Poster Position: 5 (26) 
Weekend Two Only.
Saturday.

Thoughts:  I really enjoy the factoids in her Wikipedia:

  • She is half-Japanese and was raised as a Jōdo Shinshū Buddhist, learning to play the taiko drums in a church group.
  • Folick went to Foothill High School in Santa Ana, California, where she was on the basketball team and graduated in 2007. She has said she didn't enjoy playing basketball. [hahahaha - that strikes me as such an awesomely weird fact]
  • Folick attended New York University from 2007 to 2009 to study acting but transferred in 2009 and graduated from the University of Southern California in 2011 with a B.A. from the School of Theatre. During a gap semester, a high school friend taught her how to play guitar. She later started her band using Tinder, where she created a profile that said, "looking for a band."
Started her band using Tinder?  Is that a thing?  I've been married for approximately 300 years, so I know nothing about the Tinder except that I thought it was about boning.  Is there a fun musical component to it?  I'm sure my wife would absolutely buy that excuse if she say the app on my phone - "I'M JUST TRYING TO FIND GOOD NEW MUSIC!!!"

She does a lovely cover of "I Will Follow You Into The Dark," which ends up being her second-most streamed tune.  Her top one is "Thingamajig," with 9.3 million streams.
Her vocals at the start make me think of Glee.  This was from her debut album, 2018's Premonitions.  A little soft and spacey thing there.  Much of her tunes are more straight-forward pop with a beat and whatnot.  Getting Mitski vibes at times.  Her top track from her new, 2023, album is "Bad Thing."  2.2 million.
Solid tune.  Overall, I've let her stuff play all day while I work and its good.  Not ground-breakingly amazing or anything, but I wouldn't be mad if I ended up at her stage in the fall.

No comments: