Monday, August 3, 2015

Jidenna

Holy hell.  His bio says that he coined a new term for his style of hybrid rap/R&B, called "swank." Oy.  Only two songs available on Spotify, but the top one has over 17.5 million listens, so this is some sort of a hit on the radio stations I don't hear.  That song, "Classic Man," is a sing-song rap over a beat that sounds very much like something Iggy Azelea rejected when choosing her track for "Fancy."  I mean, the same kind of synth sounds, the "hey, hey, hey, hey, hey" thing, its pretty close.  Why doesn't is say "muzzzahonnabee" in the first few bars?

He sounds kind of like somebody, I can't come up with it right now, but here's the video, maybe you can recall.  Shaggy?
That beard is illegal in 49 states, man.  Nice to see hipster-ism crossing the race barrier.  He also has a remix with Kendrick Lamar available on Spotify that is a nice addition.

Look, "Fancy" was hot, its got a great beat, so who am I to mess with this guy?  I've listened to that song like 5 times now, and it's pretty tight.  The other song on Spotify attributed to him is actually a Janelle Monae song about doing yoga called, wait for it, "Yoga."  "Let your booty do that yoga."
When she very nicely looks into the camera and asks you to "get off my areola," I had to laugh out loud.  Catchy tune, but Jidenna's portion of it is pretty weak.  We shall see what else he releases before the 'Fest.  Based on just one song, I'm interested but not yet sold.

No comments: