Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Last Bandoliers

Tejano alt-country rock?  Did I really just type that?  You listen and tell me what this is:
Kind of BR-549, kind of Bottle Rockets, kind of The Mavericks, also super creepy to watch people's mouths that closely when they sing.  The way their tongues lay in their mouths is foul.  1,520 views on YouTube, 1,438 listens on Spotify.  Literally no one has heard this music, but it is honestly pretty catchy and kind of fun.  Hating on rock music with a conjunto accordion is like hating on music with a banjo.  You've gotta be some sort of monster.  They have one EP available on Spotify, named The Last Bandoleros.

According to their website, they are a San Antonio-forged Tex-Mex/Pop-Rock outfit.  They also note that their sound is "1 part Tex-Mex, 1 part Brit-Pop and 2 parts Country/Rock."  I don't know what to do with that information.  From the looks of their website, the creepiest of the dead-tongue singers in that video (bottom left for most of the video) appears to no longer be part of the group.  I'm sure their video focus group helped them clean up the act.  None of their other singles crack the thousand listens mark, so I've just chosen this one, which has a touch of Louisiana in that squeeze box play, and more rock and roll flavor.  "Take Me To It"
Damn, son.  That breakdown jam in the middle is solid.  Looks like MC Heavy Tongue was the drummer, but in recent pictures on their site, he is no longer around.  Based on that live video, they look pretty fun to go see.  I'll keep that in mind when the schedule is released.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Do the bandoliers have a record? If so what is it called and where can I get it?

Jack said...

Interesting question, as it would appear that either they changed their name since 2015, or I just full-on misspelled it when I wrote this post. The Last Bandoleros is the name of the band that Spotify carries that sings these songs. They have an EP (that same one I mentioned back when I wrote this post) and a more recent live album, but I still don't see any proper, full, studio albums out there. Looks for Los Bandoleros on Spotify.