Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Schedule Thoughts: Friday 2015

I was on vacation last week when the full schedule was announced, so I am only now getting the chance to review each day and see the good, the bad, and the ugly about each day.  While this is likely to be a fluid timeline that will likely change in the next month and a half, here are my thoughts about Friday's schedule, along with a tasty Spotify playlist for you to enjoy to sate your appetite.


Friday:
Dude.  Instantly not cool, schedulers.  Literally, three of my Silver Medal winner bands (In the Whale, Leopold & His Fiction, and Talk In Tongues) are scheduled for noon or before on Friday.  Even assuming I can skip out on work that early, that is going to make for a really long weekend to start in the morning on day one.  I mean, come on, man.  Saturday morning and early afternoon are a complete wasteland until Father John, can we petition the White House to spread these guys out?  Of those three, if I'm there that early, I'm leaning towards In the Whale.  I should suck it up and go super early.

1:00 - The Maccabees.  My musical taste must be way off base, as this is another band I've listed in my silver medal grouping, but they've got the dreaded early Friday slot.  If I can suck it up and head over in the morning to see those guys up above, then I'll likely go check the first half of this set, before...

1:30 - Residual Kid!  Yes!  I can't believe I am excited about a band playing the Kiddie Limits stage with a 25 minute long slot!  Whatever!  I'll be the one person there at the Kiddie stage at 1:30 on a Friday afternoon!  Woohoo!

2:00 - Royal Blood.  I mean, seriously.  These guys are in my top ten of bands coming to the Fest, and they're playing early Friday?  Did my review of the Q Brothers hurt someone's feelings at C3?  The more I consider this early line-up, the more I think I've got to just suck it up and go early on Friday.  Sorry to have to miss Jessica Hernandez and the Deltas in this slot, but Royal Blood is kick ass.  How are they not slotted later in the day?

3:00 - not particularly fired up about any of the options here, but would likely do Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors here.

4:00 - Leon Bridges.  He even gets one of the major stages.  I'm psyched to check him out and could care less about the other folks up against him.

5:00 - the first big bummer of the schedule (beyond the earliness of those bands up above) is the battle between Run the Jewels and Moon Taxi.  I really feel like I'll be missing out with either choice, but I expect to do Moon Taxi.

I'll likely bail a little early on that 5 o'clock show to go grab food and another beer on my way to the Galaxy stage to see Tame Impala and get posted up for the Foo Fighters.  My hope is that a bunch of people leave the Tame Impala show to get treated for an acid overdose go to one of the 7 o'clock shows so that I can get to a good spot for the Foos.

6:00 - Tame Impala.  Although I have to admit that I listened to their whole new album a few times today and it has some lags in there that weren't apparent when listening to the first four singles from the new disc.  I believe, but I hope I'm not disappointed.

7:00 - hope that Gary Clark Jr.'s show at the Barton Springs stage (which I assume will be the retailmenot stage from last year) is cranked up enough so that I can hear it over in front of the Galaxy stage.
7:19 - realize that none of my texts have sent for the past four hours, and my phone is almost dead, and my wife thinks I am too.
7:32 - really need to pee, but have no option without giving up prime real estate.  Wish I'd brought Depends to use.
7:55 - get relentlessly crowded by people trying to get up front who claim to need to get to their friends.

8:00 - Foo Fighters!  I'm not skipping these guys for anything.  I really hope they refrain from 20 minute drum solos, but I'm in for whatever they want to do.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

You got hosed on the early starttime my friend for some good bands...but you've got to see In the Whale to get your rock on! I would probably not get out there until Royal Blood, but I'm not nearly as dedicated as you.

I'd pick Leon Bridges too (We're going to try and get tickets to the Parish show that night), but how can you dismiss Billy Idol?? I'd have a blast at that! White Wedding! Cradle of Love! Dancing With Myself! Eyes Without a Face! Rebel Yell! I mean...come on! Where is your early 80s fire???

I will have to listen to Moon Taxi now, because Run the Jewels would be a dope show, and you're passing. That's some high praise for MT.

Also, good call on Tame Impala and then just posting up for FF. You'll always have the chance in Austin to catch Clark, Jr. another time.

Solid work sir.