Thursday, May 11, 2017

Bonobo

One Liner: Kind of depressing electronic music
Wikipedia Genre: Electronic
Spotify Says Similar To: Tycho and Four Tet
Home: Brighton, England, now based in L.A.

Poster Position: 4
Slot: ?

Thoughts: So, I bought a pair of Bonobos one time.  My little brother owns about 38 pairs of them and I thought I'd join the cool people movement of flat-fronted, hip trousers.  And now I have a relatively expensive pair of trousers that I very rarely wear, because they are tight and weird looking on my body.  
Enough for the clothing confessions, this is an electronic DJ guy who's real name is Simon Green.  During my commute home on Friday, I threw his top hits on for the drive, and I gotta say, it just depressed the hell out of an otherwise lovely Friday evening drive.  I had the windows down and needed something fun and energizing, and instead got these downbeat electronic songs instead. Although, I will admit that I perked up a bit when the fourth most popular track came on, which is actually his most listened-to track, called "Cirrus."  Let's see if you recognize it:
Woah, man, that video just took me on a hypnotized trip to the other side.  Very cool visuals, but highly trippy.  And the song, which has 28 million streams, is the theme music for the Two Guys on Your Head show on NPR each Friday morning.  Neato, especially because the sounds really do make me think of a rainstorm (that would come from a cirrus cloud, get it?). But, that one does not very well encapsulate the sound of most of the songs on these albums.  A good number of albums in his catalog, 2000's Animal Magic, 2002's One Offs Remixes and B Sides, 2003's Dial 'M' for Monkey, 2006's Days to Come, 2010's Black Sands, 2012's Black Sands Remixed, 2013's The North Borders, 2013's Late Night Tales, and then 2017's Migration.  Most of the popular tracks on Spotify are from that new album, with the most popular being the second track, "Break Apart," with 12.4 million streams.
It is pretty, very chilled, but it kind of bums me out.  Some of the tunes on these albums are more upbeat and fun, but I'm only rarely finding myself bobbing my head or otherwise thinking that the music seems like a good thing to dance to.  More of a Chillville vibe. Makes me think of Thievery Corporation repeatedly.  I wouldn't go out of my way to see the guy.

Recommend?  No.

No comments: