Thursday, May 25, 2017

Sam Dew

One Liner: Silky-voiced electronic R&B
Wikipedia Genre: [Wikipedia just says he is a singer-songwriter, but that is not how I'd describe these tunes.  I'd go with Electronic, synth R&B]
Spotify Says Similar To: Dornik and Denitia & Sene (of course, those guys!)
Home: Chicago, IL

Poster Position: 13
Slot: ?

Thoughts:  Oh, good God, man, hurt me.  Mmmmmm-mmmm!  He's got a track on the Get Down Part II soundtrack that is a remake of the old Bill Withers' song "Use Me" that just made me fire out the white man overbite and chicken-thrust my head while I expressed myself solely with the sound of the letter "M." Gimme summo!
Of course, that first half is much better than the back half when it turns into a Radiohead freakout, but those first few minutes are salty sweet goodness.  Wikipedia says that he is most famous for writing the hook to a Wale song.  He's got a nice voice for sure.  One album to his credit, a 2015 disc called Damn Sue.  Most of the songs on there are less than 100k streams, but one of them is creeping on up towards a million at 986k.  That track is called "Lie."
Yeah, you know, his voice is really great.  But it is kind of like Sam Smith from a few years ago, if the tunes aren't that interesting to me, then a great voice or smart lyrics are going to have a hard time sticking with me.  So although tunes like "Victor" or "Air" are actually really nice, I just don't see myself coming back to this or wanting to see it done live at the fest.

Recommend?  No.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

I prefer his more well known brother, Mountain.