Thursday, May 25, 2017

CAPYAC

One Liner: Euro dance from a local duo
Wikipedia Genre: (no Wikipedia page, but I'd describe as electronic pop)
Spotify Says Similar To: Josh Tobias and Argonaut & Wasp
Home: Austin

Poster Position: 20

Slot: ?

Thoughts:  Oh good God.  Go read the press clippings from their website.  The "Jay Gatsby of dance parties" is painful.  They have nothing on Spotify or Wikipedia for bio information, and that website is pretty useless, but the Daily Texan did a write up on them that actually makes them sound pretty intriguing.  Custom made condoms and dragons?  Funk and dancing?  I like all of these things.  No, wait, actually I hate condoms.  But otherwise that list is pretty tight.  So, what you have here is like European chill dance thing that reminds me of being inside of a swanky store for clothing I can't afford, where I sit on some uncomfortable chair made of crystals and chrome and stare pointedly at my phone while the wife tries on clothing that she wants to like but secretly hates.


They've got the one album, 2016's Headlunge and then a 2017 EP/single called Fis.  Their top track has a bunch of listens, 677k, and is called "Speedracer."

You know, man, I always thought Disclosure was pretty tight, and this is right there in that wheelhouse of beat-centered tunes that kind of make me want to bob my head despite myself.  I kind of like it.  That video makes me feel unsettled though.  And then the second-most listened to track is called "Talk About," and they may say those two words 80 times in the tune.
I am surprisingly entertained by these songs.  Normally, tell me you've got some European inspired electro for me to hear and I'd groan and spout a platitude or three and then move on when you stopped looking, but this is kind of fun music.  OK, hold up though, I can't get behind the scary sounding aggro shit that is "11:35 at a Middle School Cafeteria," which is really their song name, which might be completely genius, because lunchtime in a middle school cafeteria is pretty horrible.

Recommend?  Maybe.

No comments: