Thursday, May 18, 2017

R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Man, that freaking sucks, dude.  Soundgarden was one of the formative bands in my musical history. Although I think they got left behind when Nirvana and Pearl Jam blew up into even bigger stars, I'd put those second and third albums up against anything in the grunge/alternative rock canon right now. Badmotorfinger was a mainstay in high school (and still holds up really well today), and Superunknown (other than "Spoonman") was likewise a classic.  I spent a lot of time glowering at the world around me while listening to "Fell On Black Days," "Black Hole Sun," "4th of July," and "Like Suicide."  And the pure power and awesomeness of "Gun," "Rusty Cage" and "Jesus Christ Pose." Oh, and in that same vein, the joys (to a high school kid) of loudly singing along to "Big Dumb Sex" are not to be undersold.  Man, now that I'm thinking about it, Soundgarden are so freaking great. Although I will say that I never gave their most recent albums much love.

And after/during the Soundgarden thing, you had Temple of the Dog and then Audioslave, both of which were legitimately bad ass bands that made some great music.  None of those three bands would have been the same without the killer pipes of Cornell.  I saw Soundgarden live twice, and now I'm especially bummed that I missed out on their last tour with NIN.

Oh, and their freaking perfect tune from the Singles soundtrack - "Birth Ritual" - is also a killer track. Thunder and power.  That soundtrack was amazing.


Good work, man.  Sorry to see you go.

No comments: