Friday, June 9, 2017

Asgeir

One Liner:  Iceland wins again!  Pretty acoustic folk and mild electronic semi-pop combine well.
Wikipedia Genre: Melodic folk
Spotify Says Similar To: Junius Meyvant and Vok
Home: Reykjavík, Iceland

Poster Position: 14
Slot: ?

Thoughts:  The immature child in me can't help but pronounce this guy's name as Ass Gear, which makes me grin and giggle every time.  Hey Ass Gear!  You got my homework done yet, Ass Gear!?!  
The full name is Ásgeir Trausti Einarsson, but he performs under just the first name.  According to his Spotify bio, it is estimated that ten percent of the entire Icelandic population owns his debut album, which was translated into English by a guy named John Grant.  That is pretty amazing.  I just did a google search for "what album does every american own" and, for whatever reason, the google gave me the Wikipedia pages for Ice Cube's Amerikkka's Most Wanted, Creed, and Eminem's Relapse.  None of those are the most owned album in America.  I refuse to belive you google.  My guess would be like Bob Marley Legend or The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper or the Eagle's Greatest Hits.  Oh, here is a page, it is Michael Jackson's Thriller.  Duh!  Followed by Back in Black and Dark Side of the Moon.  Interesting. Anyway, I've gone off topic here.
The most popular track on his Spotify page right now is some exceedingly pretty folk plucking in the vein of Jose Gonzalez and Bon Iver.  Here is "On That Day," which has 4.8 million streams.
Oh, and a heavy dose of Jeff Buckley on some of these tunes as well.  Check his cover of The National's "I Should Live in Salt." (no video so you'll just have to go find it on Spotify). He has three albums available on Spotify, 2017's Afterglow, 2013's In the Silence, and 2012's Dyro I Daudapogn (which looks infinitely cooler in the weird alphabet that it is actually written in.  The interesting thing is how cool this guy sounds when singing in his native tongue.  I mean, its complete gibberish, but it sounds really cool.  The most popular track from the newer album is called "Unbound," with 2.2 million streams, and it trades in that gentle folky sound for more electronics.
Still pretty chilled, but a little less acoustic folk sounding stuff.  But these aren't even the most listened to track on his Spotify page, that one is from the 2013's translated album and is called "King and Cross," and clocks in at 22.7 million streams.
That one kind of walks the line between the acoustic/falsetto folk and the electro/beat pop.  I like this guy.  Seems super chilled, and I'm not sure how that comes off at the Festival, but I have just let these albums play and play for the past two days without wanting to change the tunes.

Recommend?  Yeah, sure.

No comments: