Saturday, June 10, 2017

Methyl Ethel

One Liner:  Fine psych rock in the vein of a less weird Tame Impala
Wikipedia Genre: art rock
Spotify Says Similar To: Ali Barter and Cub Sport
Home: Perth, Australia

Poster Position: 17
Slot: ?

Thoughts:  My first second impression was that these guys sound like other ACL alum Lucius.  The weird thing about that is, when you look at their Wikipedia page or their Spotify bio page, the band appears to be made up of three dudes, and yet the singing sure sounds a lot like a lady.  I reviewed their 2016 album last year and liked it, but I had not tried out their new one from 2017.  They've got two 2014 EPs, a 2016 album (Oh Inhuman Spectacle), and a new 2017 album called Everything is Forgotten.  Their most popular track right now, and the one that looks to be coming close to being their most listened to track as well (with 2.1 million streams), is from that new album and is called "Ubu."
Yeah, I literally thought that was a woman doing the singing.  But, that's a pretty good groove and a nice song, regardless of the deceptive tone I'm hearing from the guy's voice. Then the current reigning champ, "Twilight Driving," from the 2016 album, has 2.3 million streams.
That is a good tune.  In fact, that whole album is still really good (I'm glad that I agree with my old review!)  "Rogues" is good and "Idee Fixe" is also a good track.  It does kind of remind me of Tame Impala, but less danceable and more rock-focused.  Either way, I'm a fan of it.  Although, as I'm listening, I keep thinking "there is no way that isn't a girl singing right now."  This one is the opening track from their 2014 EP called Guts, "Architecture Lecture," and this sounds like a Souxie & the Banshees type singer.  Nothing like a dude.
So I did some research, and just found an interview where the lead guy says that the band was intended to be genderless and faceless at first, and he was trying to make it sound like a woman singer.  So there!  I'm of the highest level of intelligence ever!  But this EP literally sounds like a woman is singing, and well, I don't know why it even matters.  It sounds good!

Will I Got Watch This Band?  Sure, I think I would.

No comments: