Friday, June 9, 2017

Devon Gilfillian

One Liner: Soulful blues guitar goodness.
Wikipedia Genre: [no Wikipedia page, going with soul]
Spotify Says Similar To: Liz Cooper & the Stampede and Parker Millsap
Home: Nashville (by way of Philly)

Poster Position: 21
Slot: ?

Thoughts: In the vein of new throwback troubadour guys like Leon Bridges, this is truly fine sounding blues guitar soul that makes me want to just wrap myself up in it and take a long nap.  Got some Al Green stuff going on here, with the most popular song sounding like some "Love and Happiness" loving smooth soul.  That track, "Here and Now," has 74k streams.
Mmmmm.  Come back baby.  That feels good, right there, man.  And the other song I want you to hear is that one I want to cocoon in for a year, "Home."  So smooth.  So right.  It doesn't have the listens it should, at only 7k streams on Spotify, but I love the sound.  Here is a live version.
Yeah buddy.  That is the real deal right there.  Not so sure about how he's going to sound on a huge stage in a festival setting, but I'd bet he figures it out.  Oh, look, here he is at SXSW playing on stage and it looks like he knows how to make it happen.
Love it.  Weird how much this is connecting with me, but I'm in on this guy for sure.  Only one five-song EP available on Spotify, and not many listens to any of it, but I like each of the tracks.

Recommend?  Fo sho.

No comments: