Monday, June 26, 2017

Middle Kids

One Liner: Cool Aussie three piece doing some good alt rock
Wikipedia Genre: [no Wikipedia page, but Rolling Stone Australia says "swirling indie-pop flirts and stadium rock anthem aims," which seems to me to be missing nouns and need some editing]
Spotify Says Similar To: Methyl Ethel and Cub Sport
Home: Sydney

Poster Position: 13

Slot: ?

Thoughts: 
 I saw this band for a few songs on a super fun Friday of tunes during the 2017 SXSW final weekend.  Their tunes are great, and I think they were even better live.  This is some clean-sounding, catchy rock from Sydney done by three people with pretty rad last names - Joy, Fitz, and Day.  How they didn't use those to create a cool band name is beyond me.  Although I guess their band name is pretty good anyway.  They've just got one EP, 2017's Middle Kids EP, and two of the tracks are a good bit more popular than the others.  First, the one that is my favorite (even if not the rest of the world's fave), "Never Start" has 1.2 million streams.

The slow start that builds into an exuberant chorus is the good stuff.  Also around 2:22, that chiming guitar that reminds me of some classic alt rock thing that I can't ID right now, also tight.  The start of "Your Love" similarly evokes something, maybe the Sundays?  That shimmering guitar wobble.  I dig it.  And their most listened to track was apparently pimped by Elton John and shot them into the spotlight.  This one is "Edge of Town" and has 7.4 million streams.
Also a good catchy rock track.  These guys should be bigger than they are, in my opinion, this is some good stuff.  I've been back through the EP about ten times today and have no interest in stopping now.  I wish they would put out some more tunes immediately!

Will I Go See Them?  Yes, plan to.

No comments: