Wednesday, June 7, 2017

The Lemon Twigs

One Liner: Weird 60's pop redux hipster soft rock
Wikipedia Genre: Alternative rock, baroque pop, power pop, progressive rock, indie rock, glam rock, art rock, psychedelic rock, soft rock (and the prize for most genres on Wikipedia goes to...)
Spotify Says Similar To: Pavo Pavo and Big Star
Home: Long Island, NY

Poster Position: 12

Slot: ?

Thoughts:  Huh.  I don't know what I expected, but this is like some gentle 60's pop rock redux stuff right here.  I mean, if their top single ("I Wanna Prove It To You") isn't actually the Beatles in disguise, then someone needs to file a trademark action or something.

326k views of that video, 1.1 million streams on Spotify.  Funny video too.  Good song, but so strange that this is a new tune.  And the rest of the tunes don't get any more modern. Their second most listened-to track is a synthy rock tune chock full of more old school harmonies and sounds.  Just over 1 million streams, this is "These Words."
That start, with the squinchy synths, really wants to be the start to a fake 70's TV show that SNL creates with a huge laugh track.  So weird.  These guys are brothers from Long Island. I mean, it is pretty music, I like the sound, but I'm still just kind of taken aback that this is a real live band in 2017 making this music and being signed to a big festival to play it.  Feels like a Wes Anderson movie come to life, or an elaborate joke that hipster kids are playing on the rest of us.  The harmonies bring others to mind too, like Brian Wilson/Beach Boys (see "How Lucky Am I?") or silly tunes by the Monkees (weird intro to "Haroomata" or "Those Days Is Comin' Soon").  It also kind of reminds me of Ween.

I view this music like a monster hip beard.  At first, it feels cool and you buy some neato oils that smell good and you comb it and people comment at how cool you look and all is well. And then you realize how sweaty it is and it kind of smells and someone send you an article about how it has poop in it, and you realize that maybe it's not so cool.  These tunes are really well made, they've got some nice smelling oils in them and someone combed them just so, but I don't need to hear them anymore. Time to shave.

Will I Go Watch Them?  No.

No comments: