Saturday, June 17, 2017

Pumarosa

One Liner: Indie rock that, at its best reminds me of the good Radiohead, but can also annoy with affected vocals.
Wikipedia Genre: [no Wikipedia, I'll go with Indie Rock]
Spotify Says Similar To: Palace Winter and The Big Moon
Home: London, England

Poster Position: 18
Slot: ?

Thoughts:  No Spotify bio, no Wikipedia entry, and a couple of interviews, but not a bunch else.  The music is pretty good, but the lead singer's overly affected voice gets tiresome after an entire album.  She reminds me of someone, but I can't come up with it.  I wanted to say Siouxsie, but I don't think that is right.  One album, 2017's The Witch, of kind of ominous-sounding indie rock and roll music.  The easy hit, with over 3x the next most listened to track, is "Priestess," with 1.4 million streams.
Yeah, I like that track, pretty simple but it had me bobbing along to the tunes.  I especially liked the breakdown after about 4:20, that kind of lets loose into a contained frenzy for a bit before reining itself back in for the comedown.  That song, like the others on this disc, does not mess around with limiting itself via length.  That one clocks in at 7:30, and the all but one track on the album is over 4 minutes, with more than a third over 6 minutes.  The second most listened to track is called "Honey," with 413k streams.
You know what, I take back my earlier criticism (although I'm going to leave it there anyway), that song sounds freaking great.  The tune itself is cool but still rocking, and the vocals click perfectly in there.  These tunes, especially one called "The Witch," remind me of back when Radiohead was good.  I think that overall, I like these guys.

Would I go see them?  Probably so, I should.

No comments: