Monday, June 19, 2017

First Aid Kit (2017)

One Liner: Some of the finest folk harmonies in the world, Americana via Sweden.
Wikipedia Genre: Folk, indie folk, Americana, Country folk 
Spotify Says Similar To: Anna Ternheim and The Tallest Man on Earth
Home: Stockholm, Sweden

Poster Position: 5

Slot: ?

Thoughts:  No new music (as of right now) since I last reviewed the band, so you might as well just go read my review of them from back then.  Although, it is probably also appropriate to read my review of seeing them play Stubb's a year or two ago, which was less than glowing.  Look, man, I wanted to love them so very much.  I wanted them to wrap me up in their wolf pelts and funky patterned dresses and take me to the land of 70's a.m. gold in their soft, pale arms.  I rated their 2014 album as my favorite damn album of the year!  But, man, that show was not a good one to me.  I'll say that I am hopeful for this one, and have just about talked myself into going back to see them again.

They recently put out a new single that is NOTHING like their old chilled stuff, all fire and anger and harsh guitars, called "You Are The Problem Here," that is all like "GODDAMMIT, I'VE HAD ENOUGH" and quit touching women or I'm going to break this guitar neck off and shove it up your entitled male ass.  Seriously, I'm not joking.  Several times in the song they sing "I hope you fucking suffer!"
They are absolutely not fucking around any more.  Which is a strange departure from the regular, but hey, I get it, sexual assaulters are dickheads who should suffer.  I'm on board. But as for the quality of music, they should stick the the beautiful folky harmonies and not the power chord anger jams.

Will I Go See Them?  More than likely, yes, I'm a sucker for their beauty.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

Member last year? Member seeing them in concert? Member? Member how pretty their voices were? Member how boring they were? Member the boredom? Member you getting drunk and yelling? Member me laughing? Member?

No chance I'm watching these folks live again unless it's an intimate little venue. At least they combine their apparent lack of enthusiasm for performing with no movement whatsoever except throwing their hair back and forth 1 MILLION times.

Ugh. (and yes, I love their albums)