Wednesday, June 14, 2017

BadBadNotGood

One Liner: Jazz funk Canadian dudes with a hip hop style
Wikipedia Genre: Post-bop, instrumental hip hop, jazz, free improvisation, electronica 
Spotify Says Similar To: Shabazz Palaces and Flying Lotus
Home: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Poster Position: 9
Slot: ?

Thoughts: So, I'd listened to these dudes before because they played the tunes behind one of Ghostface Killah's albums a few years ago (the solid Sour Soul, with the hot track "Ray Gun"), but I never really dove down into the rest of their tunes after that experience.  I guess the thing for most of these tunes is that it is a pretty chilled, organic hip hop beat style.  I'll give you their most listened to track as an example of just that, this is "Hedron," which has 5.3 million streams on Spotify.

You can imagine someone laying down a rap over the top of that for sure.  Most of the top tracks on their Spotify are ones with either a rapper or singer doing something along with it, so I almost wonder if they will be bringing someone along with them for this show, or just going it alone with instrumentals.  I have a feeling it would be the former, as a show of just the chilled instrumentals would probably not be all that fun in the festival format.  But Spotify has a 2017 Spotify Live album, apparently recorded at SXSW in Austin, and it is solely instrumental tunes, so maybe they really will try to get by with just hip hop grooves and jazzy sax as their only vocali-ish sound?  To that I say nah.  They've got a handful of albums, according to their Bio, but only III, Sour Soul, and IV show up on Spotify, so I can't tell you what their first two albums were like.  Here is the most popular track off of that Sour Soul album, the title track, which has 2.8 million streams.
Now, if these guys were going to show up with Ghostface in tow and let him go to town over all of their songs, then I'd be highly interested in seeing that stuff.  But if it is all going to just be jazzy instrumentals, I think I'll be cool seeing something else.  I mean, these tracks are well executed and all of that, but I just don't see an entire show of instrumental jazz holding my interest with so much other good stuff going on.  But get A$AP Ferg over there to freestyle over these songs, and I'm in.

Will I go Watch Them?  Probably not.

No comments: