Tuesday, June 6, 2017

MUNA

One Liner: Hey, guess what era of music these guys are copying?  Hooray for the 80's!
Wikipedia Genre: Dark pop (literally, that is what Wikipedia says, and I hate our world now)
Spotify Says Similar To: machineheart and Handsome Ghost
Home: California, I think.

Poster Position: 12
Slot: ?

Thoughts: Their Wikipedia page devotes the majority of their entry into how all three members identify as queer and they refuse to use gender-based pronouns in their tunes.  As far as the music goes, it is more of the same 80's homage that apparently is going to be all the rage for this year's ACL fest lineup.  This is kind of one part old school Madonna, one part HAIM, one part Kate Bush on Auto-Tune, and one part 80's cover band repeatedly practicing Billy Ocean's "Get Outta My Dreams, Get into My Car" without a sax.


One album, 2017's About U, and a smattering of singles and an older EP.  Music like this is why it is really hard to just listen through all of the music on this poster, as I would probably like this more if I hadn't just been subjected to several 80's homage bands in a row, to where I'm sick of hearing these same beat styles and synths and soft rock guitar stylings.  I need to go cleanse with a proper dose of metal or something for a few hours.  Because this music is fine.  It's snappy, pretty, and kind of a longing sound that should be good.  Their most popular track by a mile is the Tiesto remix of a track called "Winterbreak," with 32.6 million streams, but then their second most popular is also that song, in its original form, with 12.5 million streams.  We'll check that one first.
Damn.  I want to bathe in those lyrics like a warm bath.  So full of sorrow and loss and longing.  That part of the song is money.  The tune itself?  I can do without.  The second most listened to track on this album is "Loudspeaker," with 9.5 million streams.
More emotionally raw (although exuberantly sung this time) lyrics that work really well.  I want to like this one more than I do, but I honestly think I'd rather just read the lyrics and catch feels rather than listen to the actual songs.  Not sure why everyone wants to go back to the 80's sound, but I think I'm OK here in the now.

Recommend: Not really.

No comments: