Sunday, June 18, 2017

Skip Marley

One Liner: Grandson of Bob Marley, doing a pretty solid job of holding up the mantle
Wikipedia Genre: Reggae
Spotify Says Similar To: Andrew Tosh and Jo Mersa Merley
Home: Kingston, Jamaica

Poster Position: 14

Slot: ?

Thoughts:  I know about some of the Marley progeny, like Ziggy and Damian, but I hadn't heard anything about Skip until the Grammy's this year when Katy Perry's (freaking terrible) "Chained by the Rhythm" performance involved someone firing off a few reggae bars as she danced around a little white house.  Well, that guy was Skip.  

He doesn't have a full-length album yet, just three real songs available on Spotify (and two remixes), and they show an interesting shift from the traditionalist reggae.  And because I have listened to some Bob Marley and Toots & the Maytals, I am a preeminent scholar on traditional reggae.
The first is pretty traditional reggae track, with admittedly more of an electronic instrumentation, but a normal reggae beat and rhythm, and a message of peace about how we should all just chill.  2.3 million streams for "Calm Down."
That is a good track.  And then the second one, while it starts with a guitar intro, it then goes into an almost EDM electro rise, before a more traditional reggae beat kicks in, and then it goes back to the EDM sound for the chorus.  This is "Lions," with 6.6 million streams.
I like the first one better than that one, but I'm also not that big into the EDM thing, so give me traditional reggae any day.  And then the last of the three songs is called "Cry to Me," and only has 727k streams, but it sounds even more traditional than either of those others, just with some electronic drum and click stuff.
Good groove in that one.  And I suppose that it could be recreated live, with a real drummer trying to replicate the machines.  But I guess he can be just like other ACL "bands" who just break out their Macbook and let it rip while they sing along.  I guess we'll see.  In fact, the more I think about it, this feels more like a rap album, with hip hop beats, with a reggae singer instead of a rapper doing the vocal.  I'd be kind of interesting in seeing him, but it would only be if nothing else interesting was going on.

Recommend? Yes, but I kind of doubt I'll go see him.

No comments: