Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Jonny P

One Liner: Soul realness.
Wikipedia Genre: [no Wikipedia] Soul
Spotify Says Similar To: Blue Skye and Lynda Wehipeihana (how is Leon Bridges not on this list?)
Home: Nashville now and was originally in the Bronx

Poster Position: 24

Slot: ?

Thoughts: I actually saw this guy play a few songs at Stubbs indoors a few months ago while I was waiting for some other show at SX, maybe that was the night I was waiting for Lil Wayne, I don't remember now, but live, this band is the real damn deal.  I was standing up above the stage on that balcony above the indoor stage and caught 4 or 5 songs, and they were pretty high energy and tight sounding blues soul stuff.  I dug it.  The top track these days is "Good to You," with 689k streams.

That one is the title song to his 2017 EP, and he has an older (2014) EP as well, called Right to You.  This stuff is pure throwback soul goodness.  HIs second most popular track comes from the earlier EP, with 374k streams, this is "Shine On."
Authentic sounding, with a beauty of a voice, I enjoy every like of that action.  And "All They Need" is a New Orleans flavored party that I enjoy immensely.  That being said, not sure how well this comes through on a huge stage playing for a parking lot, versus the tight little side stage of Stubb's indoor.  But I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Recommend?  Yes.

No comments: