Friday, July 7, 2017

Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real

One Liner: Willie Nelson's kid plus Neil Young's backing band = jam rock tastiness
Wikipedia Genre: Rock
Spotify Says Similar To: North Mississippi Allstars and Leftover Salmon
Home: Los Angeles

Poster Position: 15

Slot: ?

Thoughts: I'm really liking the band on these tracks.  I can see why Neil Young would tap these guys to back him up, I hear some echos of old Neil Young here (check the guitar work on "If I Was the Ocean"), as well as some new sounds like a rock jam band like My Morning Jacket.  I can also hear good ol' Dad on some tracks, like the live version of "Can You Hear Me Love You," which sounds like an outtake from Willie's Teatro album.  In fact, that is what I'd say about the 2012 album Wasted, compared to the newer album - his older sound is like his Dad (also check "Wanted to Try"), but the newer sound is more of his own sound and I think I like the lower registered vocals of the new better of the old.

Three albums, 2010's Promise of the Real, 2012's Wasted, and 2016's Something Real, with the most popular track being off of that original album.  "Pali Gap/ Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)" - which wins the award for schizophrenic song title of the year - is that top song, with 380k streams on Spotify.
That one has some brassy guitar sounds like I'm used to hearing on a Neil Young album, but also some jammy chill-ness in there that you wouldn't hear on Willie's discs.  They definitely can go for some long guitar heroics on some of these tracks ("Start to Go," for one), but the second most listened to track on Spotify is more of a reggae-ish jam track.
What was that band that came a few years ago, that for some reason makes me think of college kids smoking pot on shitty couches?  Uhhhh, Rebelution!  That's the one.  This makes me think of Rebelution.  But before I let you go, let's listen to one of the top songs from the new album, which I think showcases the better sound for this band than these two older tracks.  This is the title track, "Something Real," which has just over 81k streams on Spotify.
BONGOS!  These guys have the sound of a kick ass bar band that just enjoys blasting it out.  I'd go see it in the fall, and not just because of a famous dad, but because this is pretty legit rock and roll.

Recommend?  Sure.

No comments: