Monday, July 10, 2017

Sigrid

One Liner: Killer voiced Norweigian gal deserves more hype
Wikipedia Genre: Synthpop
Spotify Says Similar To: Emma Jensen and Julia Michaels
Home: Alesund, Norway

Poster Position: 14

Slot: ?

Thoughts:  I got to see her play a SXSW show at Bangers this March, and I recall coming away from it with two distinct observations.  First, that her mannerisms on the stage were oddly endearing and fierce.  She pokes at the air and cocks her head and slashes with her hands and struts around on the stage like she is spitting gangster rap lyrics.  Second, that her voice (and that of her backup singer) is fantastic.  Strong and pitch perfect.  I'll likely sound like an idiot here, since Adele has the most famous set of pipes in the world right now, but the acoustic versions of Sigrid's songs on her Spotify page bring Adele to my mind. She also reminds me of Carole King at times.

Her top tune is the Kendrick Lamar-esquely named "Don't Kill My Vibe," a great kiss-off track with 16.6 million streams.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, she looks like she is 12 years old.  She's got another popular one called "Plot Twist" that is also kind of a harsh kiss off thing where she gets to yell "SHOTS FIRED!" throughout, but I want you to hear that other vibe, the more acoustic, less electro pop, song.  Here is "Dynamite," which is more in the area of 2.3 million streams.
You get the Adele comparisons with that one, right?  You could hear this one on 25 among the other piano ballads.  Regardless of whether she sounds like someone else, I know that she sounds freaking great.  You really should go see her do this stuff live, she's a trip to watch perform with her aggressive mannerisms and teenager looks.

Recommend?  Yes.

No comments: