Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Devin Dawson

One Liner: Like John Mayer told people his music was country
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia entry
Spotify Says Similar To: Seth Ennis and Sammy Arriaga
Home: Orangeville, CA (now in Nashville)

Poster Position: 24

Slot: Sunday at 11:45

Thoughts:  Smooth sounding soft-rock (that calls itself country in his bio) that owes a debt to R&B more so than the traditional country sound.  I only really call it country because that is what his bio says, it sounds more like the soft-rock R&B that guys like John Mayer have done for years.  Good example of that is his second-most listened-to track, "I Don't Care Who Sees," with 2.2 million streams.
Not the album version, but you can hear those hand-claps and smooth guitar work under a slick set of lyrics about making out in front of people.  But then he also has a significantly more popular track, pretty huge for a guy with no album, at 14.8 million streams, this is "All On Me."
Because I'm an unapologetic nerd for John Mayer's music, I'm not going to clown on these tunes.  I actually like them.  But the fact that this guy is, in any way, trying to pass this off as country music shows you how far off the mark the world of "Country" has spiraled in the past two decades.  I doubt I'd go see this guy play, but its actually catchy little soft-rock pop nuggets.  I'mma play that "I Don't Care Who Sees" track for the wife this weekend and see if we end up in a puddle of clothes on the floor.

No comments: