Monday, July 31, 2017

Brothers Osborne

One Liner: New Nashville sound that leans hard on rock to make country music.
Wikipedia Genre: Country
Spotify Says Similar To: Dan + Shay and Maddie & Tae (I can't make that shit up, those two rhyming names are literally the #1 and #2 Related Artists on Spotify).
Home: Nashville (not a shocker, but born and raised in Maryland)

Poster Position: 11

Slot: ?

Thoughts:  Popular new country act from Nashville, winners of Vocal Duo of the Year at both the CMAs and the ACMs.  Just one album, 2016's Pawn Shop, which I reviewed a year or so ago.  After listening to it a few more times, I agree with myself.  "Loving Me Back," with Lee Ann Womack, is the best song on here.  
Only 1.4 million streams for that one, so I must be in a minority here.  More like Chris Stapleton than the otherwise mostly modern Nashville stuff.  Do you remember Big and Rich?  That is kind of what this album reminds me of, but without that terrible rapper guy who contributed to B&R's songs.  1 part southern rock, 2 parts cheese country styles, 1 part well-done harmonies and tunes.  And a shocker here, they've got the now obligatory weed smoking country song ("Greener Pastures").
The top song ("Stay a Little Longer"), which had only 19 million streams back when I first reviewed it, is now up to 70.8 million, which is pretty impressive.  I'm not going to link you back to that one, go to my old review if you want it, because I don't care for it.  The second most popular track is "21 Summer," a love song based in a long ago summer.
This sounds just like something that I can't place my finger on.  Like Jackson Browne or something.  Or is that Toby Keith in my mind?  Might be Toby Keith.  No, its someone else who won't come to me. Some person that makes me think of Austin.  But I like that track quite a bit.  I'm a sucker for old love nostalgia songs, and being reminded of a time or relationship through a song that you sang all summer.  Pretty song, avoids all of the rawkin' guitar action that tries to carry so much of the rest of the album.  At 31.9 million streams, it is still pretty popular.  And the other one I feel like I should showcase is the Jimmy Buffett-style tune, "Rum," which clocks in at 4th place for streams at 7.6 million.
"Dippin' our tooooooooooooes in the water!  I don't care if it gets any hotter, its you, me, remembering how to have fun!" and "mix it with rum - mmm - mmm - mmmmmmmmm." Sure, maybe a little cheesy, but suck it, I enjoy the tune.  Silly and fun and probably fantastic to sing along with after a bunch of cocktails.

Will I Go See Them in the Fall?  Likely not.

No comments: