Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Xavier Omar

One Liner: Straight sexy-time soul, baby.  Well, bordering on rap too.  But from SA!
Wikipedia Genre: no Wikipedia page, but this is R&B, soul, and rap
Spotify Says Similar To: Ravyn Lenae and Berhana
Home: San Antonio

Poster Position: 17

Slot: ?

Thoughts:  No bio on Spotify or Wikipedia page, so I'm having to dive out a little deeper on this guy.  An article about him in Vibe Magazine says he came from making music on the Internet out of his San Antonio bedroom, after an upbringing with a lot of musical folks in his family.  His mom played only gospel around the house when he was growing up, and you hear that kind of influence on these albums.  I say albums, but I'm actually confused about the music listed for this guy on Spotify.  He definitely has a 2016 album called The Everlasting Wave.  But then a second album is listed for him, also from 2016, called Shift, but every song says "Avalon Young" next to the song title and has a woman singing over some crappy R&B beats.  So I'm guessing that shouldn't be listed for this guy?  But then there is another album, also listed as from 2016, called Hours Spent Loving You, that has the word "Sango" out beside each track name, but it sounds like the same voice of the guy who was singing on Everlasting Wave.  So I'll say the guy has two albums.  His top track, by a mile, is from that Everlasting Wave album put out in 2016.  "Blind Man" has about 9.3 million streams, and has the sound of a Drake-type thing of singing and then rapping for a bit and then singing some more.
His voice is solid - really nice on that track.  Oh, and by the way, he used to go by the name SPZRKT (which is apparently pronounced Spazzy Rocket, duh) but more recently shifted to using his real name.  That Vibe interview/ article is really good, definitely makes this guy seem like a good dude that I should like.  I also appreciate the way he represents for San Antonio, a city I like a lot and want to be recognized more for being cool.  And I don't know if it is because of the article or what, but despite what I think about the world of Drake and his acolytes, I am enjoying this music.  His second most listened-to track is from that other album with Sango, and has a cool sounding name.  "The Motive Used to Be the Melody" has 2.3 million streams.
Got that new soul Weeknd vibe in that one, kind of singing, but kind of rapping at the same time.  And I dig the breakdown where the phone call kicks in and the beat changes up, that is a solid beat and interesting use of the call sound.  Also, lyrically, I love this track.  It's a good love song for sure.  "I just been wondering where you been, Maybe you've been standing right here in front of me, Maybe my patience is wearing thin, I don't wanna make mistakes, cause I rush instead of wait for the right one ... I just wanna love you, Just to make you smile that's the motive."  Xavier himself says that this is a song about loving the person you haven't met yet.  Yeah, man, I kind of dig this guy.  That being said, we'll see who he is up against in the fall before I decide if I'll go see him.

Recommend?  Strangely, yeah.

No comments: