Tuesday, May 1, 2018

ACL 2018: Lineup Announced!

Woohoo!  Congratulations to me and my new baby lineup!  Welcome to the world, little buddy!  So glad you could join us.  Let's dig in real quick before I get to listening to the tunes.


My God that song is so great.

Top Six:

  • Paul freaking McCartney?  Hell yes.  I'm not saying that I listen to his solo music all the time, but the opportunity to hear one of the Beatles, likely playing Beatles tunes, is an opportunity no true music fan should be able to deny.
  • Metallica.  Hell yes.  When I saw them in 2015, it was one of the most fun shows I've ever done.  
  • Childish Gambino.  Huh.  Never would have put him at #3 on a poster, but OK.  "Redbone" is cool.  I'll need to dig deeper to figure out if this is a good thing or not.
  • Arctic Monkeys.  For sure seeing them.  AM was an excellent album and they should be high fun.
  • Travis Scott.  Is what is wrong with the world today.  Party rapper with nothing to say, and also apparently a big jerk.
  • Odesza.  Electronic something-or-other.  No clue what this is, but glad the kids will have something to jump around to.
  • The National.  I'm willing to give them another shot to not be super depressing.  Or at least for me to comprehend their depression and enjoy it.
Three of those are worth the price of admission alone.  I'm pretty happy about that.  Waaaaay better than The Weeknd and Bruno Mars and Travis Scott like at Lolla.

Other immediate thoughts:
  • David Byrne will be very cool.
  • I love Chvrches.
  • Father John Misty!  A favorite show from past ACLs and one of the smartest lyricists out there.
  • Brockhampton are great.
  • Hozier?  Really?  Is that guy still out there?
  • Greta Van Fleet is going to be very cool.
  • Highly Suspect is good stuff.
  • Shakey Graves is very good live, that will be fun.
  • Not sure what I think about seeing Prince's band.  The Revolution.  Huh.
  • Khalid is cool.
It gets real bare for my knowledge banks real quick after about 12 lines.  But there are bands I'll get to listen to called Japanese Breakfast, Ghost of Paul Revere, Thunderpussy, Magic City Hippies, Sailor Poon (I actually listened to them before Fun Fun Fun one year), Fickle Friends, Naked Giants, The Nude Party, and Neighbor Lady.

It just dawned on me that I have to do Weekend Two this year because of a stupid conflict, which is sad.  I like Weekend One more.  And it also means I'll miss out on the Deftones AND Greta Van Fleet.  I might have to go for part of Weekend One after all.

Here we go!

[edit]  I had two friends immediately ping me with their negative reactions to the lineup.  So it made me go back and rethink my full thoughts about what we have here.  I still think this is generally good.  Would I like another top notch headliner or two?  Of course.  Would I like more good rap and less Travis Scott?  Absolutely.  But, for all the complaints about the top six headliners on here, consider this:
There are always bad things on the top line now, I think in part because I am old, but also because the fest has to appeal to everyone.  So like 2017, I was very pumped about Jay Z and RHCP, lukewarm about Chance, but then The Killers, Gorillaz, Martin Garrixx were not exciting.  (and the Killers ended up being great).  The year before, you had Radiohead and Kendrick in the top 6, but then you also had Mumford, LCD Soundsystem, Major Lazer, and something called Kygo. (and Mumford was very fun).  In 2015, it was the Foos, but then the rest of the top 6 was Drake, Strokes, Weeknd, Disclosure, and Deadmau5.  Blech.  And yet 2015 was freaking AWESOME because of Tame Impala and Sturgill and Alabama Shakes and Decemberists and Gary Clark Jr and Father John Misty.  Probably my favorite year in recent history, and yet with the worst headliners.  So I think there is a lot to like here, even if the headliners aren’t instantly exciting…

No comments: