Saturday, May 19, 2018

The Coronas

One Liner: Irish indie rock that belongs on a CW drama
Wikipedia Genre: Rock, Indie, Alternative.
Home:  Dublin

Poster Position: 18

Day: Friday at 11:15 am
Both Weekends.

Thoughts: Who was that band who was used over and over on Grey's Anatomy episodes?  They had a song about a car crash or something?  SNOW PATROL!  Not a crash, but "Chasing Cars."  That is what this band makes me think of, pleasantly generic indie rock that has probably been used in 19 episodes of a CW show.  Well, maybe not that generic, I dig the Irish lilt to the vocals.  And some of these get pretty fun - check out "Just Like That" from the 2014 album or "Addicted to Progress" from the 2011 album.  Those are more like a Two Door Cinema Club type danceable rock track thing.

According to Spotify's bio, they were originally called Kiros, and three of the four members started that band at 15, but then changed the name.  This article calls them one of Ireland's most successful indie bands, so I guess these guys are big back home?  It also notes that the lead singer is the son of Mary Black (which means nothing to me at all but she is apparently an important Irish folk singer), so I guess that is big time?

Five albums, starting with 2007's Heroes or Ghosts, which boasts their most listened to track, "Heroes of Ghosts."  1.9 million streams.
The comments on YouTube are talking about how there are people out there who only know the song in Irish, but think its weird to hear it in English.  Seems absolutely strange to remake a song in a different language.  It seems like it would be impossibly hard to make the original lyrics work with the rhythm of the tune when the words changed entirely.  Just seems like you'd get extra syllables and it'd sound all messed up.  Like imagine if "Take out the papers and the trash" had to become "sacar los papeles y la basura."  You go from eight syllables in English to eleven in Spanish.  No way you can make that sound right.

They get into the Christian rock spirit with "My God," back in 2011 - actually a pretty lovely little tune, like an Irish drinking song except the lyrics are literally asking for God to make him brave and wash away his disgrace.  Pretty good tune.

For the other tune I'll give you here, how about the most listened to from the most recent album, 2017's Trust the Wire.  Here is "We Couldn't Fake It," which has 1.1 million streams.
Pretty damn good tune.  Good vocals, good guitar, mediocre backing drum machine, and catchy chorus.  I like it.  Most of this is pretty good music.  I take back my derisive mention of Snow Patrol up above.  Well no, I don't take it back, but I'd say that several of their top ten most popular songs aren't my favorites and call out that comparison, but then as you run through the catalog a few times, its pretty good indie rock.  Some of the songs suck, like "Sandy," which stands out as being especially bad sounding to me (makes me think of that crappy Sister Hazel song from back in the day).

I'd go give these guys a shot.

No comments: