Friday, May 18, 2018

Alice Merton

One Liner: The "No Roots" lady.  
Wikipedia Genre: Indie pop, indie rock, alternative dance, dance-rock.
Home:  Hell if I know.  Wikipedia says born in Frankfurt, Germany, Residence in Berlin and "England," Citizenship = Canada, "British," Germany, and hometown of Oakville, Ontario.  So she's from somewhere.

Poster Position: 16

Day: Saturday at 12:45
Both Weekends.

Thoughts: Literally, when I just pulled this one up, with no clue who it was, I saw the first song and said, out loud, by myself, in my office, "Ah hell, the damn no roots lady, shit."  I very much dislike this song.  I'm well aware that it is a large crossover hit that is played on pop stations and rock stations and alternative stations and all of that, but it bugs me deeply and truly.
84.8 million streams, crushing anything else in her catalog and anything else in this area of the poster.  Just listening to it again to watch that video got me all annoyed all over again.  I get it, you have no rooohoohoooooooohhooooots.  Stop saying that. 

Ooooh, wait, I just realized why she says she has no roots!  Because she is from like 3 different places and has no home!  I'm a genius!  You probably already realized this like 2 years ago!

She has no full length album out there, just an EP of five songs, so if I don't like the hit, its gonna be hard to find some deep cuts that I like more.  "Lash Out" is a disco-fied song that sounds like Florence (without the Machine) slumming it with more highly repetitive lyrics.  The final track of the EP is her second most streamed, at 6.7 million streams, this is "Hit the Ground Running."
I know you won't be surprised to hear the title of the song said 47 times during the song.  There is definitely a system to her writing - repetitiveness to beat it right into your skull.

After giving her EP a few shots, her voice really is good and the music is relatively pleasant, but not for me.  I definitely do not want to hear a crowd of people sing along to her one radio hit and then wander off.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

No Roots is a jam. You are poopface.