Friday, May 4, 2018

Houndmouth (2018) [EDIT]

One Liner: Shaggy southern rock goodness.
Wikipedia Genre: Alternative country, indie rock, folk rock, Americana
Home: Indiana

Poster Position: 9

Day: Sunday at 5:00
Both Weekends.

Thoughts:  I love these guys.  Saw them when they last came through in 2015, and it was a great show.  High energy, real deal rock and roll.  Unfortunately, they don't actually have any new music, so there really isn't a reason to update what I said about them in 2015.  If they add a new album before the Festival, I'll jump in here and talk about it.  Otherwise, just go check out my previous post.

I will definitely go see them.

Oh, hey!  A new album!  2018's Golden Age starts with about 40 seconds of silence, and then eases you into a slightly cleaner sound.  Still good rock and roll, but a little less shaggy, more produced.  Less roots, more pop.  Also, did the female vocalist leave?  Didn't they have a female on the old songs?  Yes, WIkipedia says that Katie Toupin left the band in 2016, so now its just three dudes.  That is too bad, I liked her harmonies, made the band a little different than the usual sausage party.

These tunes are pretty good - you can run through the album repeatedly in quick fashion because its only 10 songs and 36 minutes.  The top track so far is "This Party," with a sentiment of wishing you could escape.  719k streams.
Hear that?  Not a roots rock song, but still a pretty solid rock and roll tune.  Danceable, catchy, good groove.  Makes me think of Spoon.

"Waiting for the Night" sounds kinda like a Strokes vibe.  "Modern Love" hews a little closer to the classic sound, acoustic guitars and harmonies.  Well, then they have a weird ending to the song with robot vocals and spooky synths.  Otherwise, nice tune.  "Coast to Coast" uses a beat piece that I associate with the Beastie Boys, which is attractive to me, but now I need to dig into where that actually came from.  Oh, no, wait, that is an Eagles song!  "Those Shoes."  Aw yeah!  That is kinda tight.  283k streams.
"'cause I'mma high, plains, drifta."  Such a tight beat.  Makes a cool groove on that tune.  But I think the easiest comparison on this album is to Spoon.  Most of the album sounds like their recent tunes.

I have to admit that I prefer the old tunes to the new album, but I'd still go see these guys do their thing.

No comments: