Wednesday, May 30, 2018

San Holo

One Liner: More generic EDM
Wikipedia Genre: Trap, future bass
Home:  Netherlands

Poster Position: 7

Day: Saturday at 6:30
Both Weekends.

Thoughts:  I mean, I haven't even heard a note of this music and I already hate it.  I remember seeing an artist named Com Truise the other day, and likewise it made me want to barf.  SO CLEVER!  And yet, you're messing with the extremely valuable childhood memories and feelings I associate with Han.  When I get goosebumps every time the Falcon banks across the screen in one of the new movies of the Star Wars trilogy, that is real, and you, sir, and messing with those feels in pursuit of unimaginative "future bass."

One guess what kind of music this is.  if you were the first to guess generic EDM stuff, you have won a signed exhibit sticker from my desk.  Well done.  This is one of those guys without a real album, just a bunch of singles and a weird EP (that includes a straight up classical song), and a few "albums" that are just the same song redone 14 times.  For real, he has a 2017 release that is the song "The Future" done in 14 different versions.  If you can't decide which version of your computer generated song is actually good, then maybe its just not good?  Seems like common sense to me.

Top song, by a ton, is "Light" with 104 million streams.
Sounds like 8,000 other EDM tracks we've heard before.  Female singing about generically aspirational subject - I JUST WANNA SEE THE LIGHT! - with a build up and drop that includes that backwards woozy synth sound.  I could tell you that this was Avicii or Calvin Harris and you's be like, yeah, OK.   Most of his other tunes are at less than 10 million streams.  

So, homeboy is Dutch, and his real name is Sander van Dijck.  How can you not see that last name and think of dong?  Will I ever stop being juvenile?  I kind of doubt it.  Also, in 2014, Disney threatened to sue the guy for copyright infringement over being too closely associated with Han Solo.  I can't see any resolution to that demand, but it sure seems like he got to keep using the name.  Dammit Disney, FINISH HIM!

I'll give you one more track, this is his most recent single, "Summertime," which features Yellow Claw and has 1.4 million streams.
Yeah, that is probably worse than the earlier track?  Is Yellow Claw the singer?  Huh.  Yellow Claw is another DJ (well, looks like 2 DJs), so who does what when three DJs make an electronic track together?  Are they all hunched over one laptop, trying to punch the F4 button at the same time?

I said I'd only do one more track, but Wikipedia shows that this guy became famous because he remixed the Dr. Dre song "Tha Next Episode."  That song rules, so let's see what he did to it.
Oh God.  He ruined it.  You know why that original song rules?  The pimp ass 60's tune Dre sampled.  Removing that entirely just makes this a mediocre Snoop rap over the sound of Pharrell clucking his tongue from "Drop It Like Its Hot."  This is bad.  Meanwhile, it has 168 million freaking views on YouTube, so maybe I'm the one who is bad...

I would not go see this live.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

I would not go see this dead either.

This is not good.

This is bad.