Monday, May 14, 2018

Thunderpussy

One Liner: I can't say their name without grinning, but they kind of freaking rock.
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia entry, so I'm just going to go with rock and roll or post-punk blues rock.
Home: Seattle

Poster Position: 20

Day: Sunday at 12:15
Weekend Two Only.

Thoughts: I mean, how can you say this band name with a straight face?  At first, I thought this was that band with the lead singer from Alabama Shakes, but that one is Thunderbitch.  Also not to be confused with Thundercat, who was at ACL last year.  This is the special time for Thunder-centric band names.  Just wait for Thunderparty and Thundercock, coming soon to a festival near you!

Anyway, this is real deal rock and roll powered by four ladies who come off like a punk version of the Donnas or a more tuneful version of L7.  They claim that the band name was just a joke, but that it stuck once the band got serious.  Although I have to imagine that they'll never get all that serious with a name involving weather events and genitalia.  But what do I know?  Actually, what I do know is that this shit rocks out.  I highly enjoyed listening to this band.

They don't yet have an album (just an EP with the awesome name Greatest Tits) but one is apparently on the way.  According to this article, they all still have day jobs, which I guess makes sense, but seems kind of a bummer.
Petty is a gardener; Julius works in a creative-marketing firm; Dunphy is a sound-engineering assistant at Cornish; and Sides teaches Pilates and is curating performances for the upcoming Out of Sight Festival at King Street Station.
I guess you have to do what you have to do to still get to jam out at night.  Hopefully they are about to springboard into fame and all the money in the world.  Anyway, the music.  Here is their top streamed track, the opener from their EP, a bad ass track of guitar fuzz and pounding cymbals.  376k streams.
GIRLFIGHT!!!  Just get me to that breakdown at 3:30 when they take the governor off of that bitch and jam the pedal down.  Those last thirty seconds to that song need to be my walk out music for my first MLB at bat, and the stadium will riot and burn disco albums and it will be amazing.  
Their most popular track right now, which was released in 2018, is their band name all over again, and currently has 64k streams.  Live version here, but you get the idea:
When the chorus kicks in, and the drums go full Bonham, and the guitar tightens up into little hard nuggets of goodness, that is where the heart of this one lives.  Oh, and in the solo.  Musically, this one gives it to me.  I'm here for the instrumentation on these tunes - not so sure about the lyrics.  As the top comment on that YouTube video notes: "the cringe is real."

Whatever, I'd absolutely give these guys a shot to melt my face in the fall.  This is my kind of weird.

No comments: