Friday, September 7, 2018

Donna Missal

One Liner: Strong-voiced pop with a retro bend
Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, going with pop.
Home: New Jersey

Poster Position: 25
Day: Saturday at 12:45
Weekend Two Only.

Thoughts: Just a handful of songs, all singles.  The tunes are kind of torchy, strong-voiced retro-pop.  Try out the top track right now, "Thrills," with 644k streams.
Kinda of whispery Lana Del Rey thing, that then transmogrifies into a belting Beyonce sound.  All over some plucked strings and piano.  Some of her tunes can get a little too much into the belting mode, where she's almost just screaming at you, like the live version of "Keep Lying" on Spotify.  I do not enjoy that shit at all.  And actually, after listening more, its not Beyonce I hear, its Rihanna.  This is kind of a Rihanna lite.

No Wikipedia, and I don't find many other articles or documents about her.  I know she's from jersey, and that her original single was the aforementioned "Keep Lying," which got praise from Bishop Briggs and something called Zane Lowe.  That guy apparently helms a radio show called Beats 1, which can make new artists with a play.  He did just that for her, and then the single shot up the Spotify Viral and HypeMachine charts. Also, she was on two tracks from Macklemore's most recent album, including "Glorious" (which, for some reason, I thought was a hook from Kesha).

Here is that "Keep Lying" track, so you can see what they liked.  2.0 million streams.
Yeah, I mean, these are OK.  I'm in full agreement that he voice is great, but I can't say that I care much for the basic soul pop arrangements.  Probably won't be to the Park by 12:45 on Saturday, so probably won't have a chance to see her anyway.

No comments: