Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Bruce Robison & Kelly Willis: Antone's: August 24, 2018

While I've probably seen these two play, both together and separately, 20 times, it never really loses its luster for me.  They're so comfortable together up on the stage, trading songs and joking with each other, then adding beautiful harmonies into the background for each other, its just a cool thing to see every time.  And on top of that, I really like the new Antone's.  They have a good sound system and a nice bar, makes for an easy experience overall, with good viewing, fine sound, and easy access to everything.

They played a bunch of their classics, and then Kelly got to play a few of the tracks off of her new album, which are pretty solid.  I'm partial to the old tunes, as those were part of the soundtrack to my courtship with the wife, but the new songs are also well written, a little bluesy, but still a lot Americana-style country.  And so long as I get to dance with the wife to "Wrapped," then the show is always a victory.

And as a happy coincidence, an old friend from childhood happens to be playing in their band as a Swiss Army Knife utility guy, firing up guitar, keyboard, accordion, and other instruments to add a little flavor to the sound.  I grabbed him afterwards to chat and he said that playing with them has been an amazing change of pace from some of his prior gigs.  Makes me like them even more, that they are hooking ol' Scotty up.

Good show.  You should go if you get the chance.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW!!!!!