Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Ruston Kelly

One Liner: Very good Americana and alt country from husband of Kasey Musgraves
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia: alt country, Americana.
Home: Nashville

Poster Position: 25
Day: Saturday at 1:30
Weekend Two Only.

Thoughts:  I knew that name sounded familiar!  If you've read my stuff in the past, then you know that I love me some Kasey Musgraves.  She can do no wrong in my eyes.  And I also happen to follow her on Instagram and Twitter, so I've noticed that she recently got married - to this dude.

His music is somewhat similar to the Musgraves thing - thoughtful lyrics and good alt country style instruments.  He calls himself a "bastard disciple of Kurt Cobain and Townes Van Zandt," which hits right on a large portion of my musical tastes.  His most popular song, a new single that I expect will end up on a new album sometime soon, is a beauty.  "Mockingbird," with 309k streams.
80's prom hair never gets old.  But damn that video - got me all emotional up in here.  And just a great song, I like it a lot.  He also has an odd song, a single just called "Asshole," that doesn't have the same country flair as the rest of his tunes.

I was listening to this guy the other day while cooking Sunday morning breakfast, and the artist he reminds me of, more than Van Zandt, is Chris Knight.  I freaking LOVED Chris Knight's album that came out in 1998.  I wore that sucker out.  So, the tunes that you can get on this guy's one album, 2017's Halloween, are in that vein.  Well-written stories, good pure voice, relatively simple accompaniment.  They're good.  The top track from that album is "Poison," which boasts 1.7 million streams (by far his highest count).
I mean, damn.  Reach right on into my chest cavity for that one.  Reminds me more of Jason Isbell on that one that Knight.  Either way, damn fine.  I'd absolutely go give this one a shot.  Saturday afternoon at 1:30 sounds like a nice way to pass some afternoon time with a cold beer in the grass.

No comments: