Monday, August 22, 2022

123 Andres

One Liner: Bilingual kiddie fun times.

Wikipedia Genre: Children's music
Home: Not sure, originally Columbia.

Poster Position: not on the poster
Weekend Two - BOTH Saturday and Sunday.

Thoughts:  The lady half of this band looks extremely like a kind music teacher who would have made me love music when I was in fourth grade.  I swear she looks like a teacher a I really had.  Husband and wife duo who makes children's music in both English and Spanish.  They've won a Latin Grammy and have been nominated for a Grammy as well.  It really seems weird that we have Latin Grammys and then just Grammys.  I know it gets more recognition for Latin artists who might otherwise be ignored, but it just still feels odd.  "The concept of a separate Grammy Awards for Latin music began in 1989. According to organizers, the Latin Grammy Awards was established as the Latin music universe was deemed too large to fit on the Grammy Awards. The Latin Recording Academy defines Latin music as music in Spanish or Portuguese."  Still weird.

Anyway, wifey grew up in America in a Spanish speaking household.  She earned a master's degree in education from Penn.  Impressive!  Hubby grew up in Columbia, and has since earned his doctorate in music and was awarded first prize in a national composition contest in Columbia.  WTF, man.  These people need to be like curing cancer or something, not writing lullaby songs in Spanish.

All of their most popular tracks are literally lullabies from 2020's La Luna.  I know that the kid in the song I'm listening to right now just said the word "shoes."  My Spanish knowledge is deep.  Their first album in 2015 was 11 songs in Spanish followed by the same 11 songs in English.  Uno, Dos, Tres Con Andres!  En Espanol Y En Ingles.  2016's Arriba Abajo was the one that was nominated for a Grammy.  2019's Canta las Letras has freaking 38 songs, all about the letters of the alphabet (apparently).  2020's Una Idea Tengo Yo lets us know that they have an idea.  2020's El Mejor Regalo is their Holiday album.  2020's Hola Amigo: Songs of Friendship is friendly.  2021's Activate is about being active, I think.  Finally, two new EPs, YO SOY and I Am, both in 2022.  That is a lot of albums!  Most of which I can't understand!

The top track is Fly, Shine, Soar with a friend named Little Miss Ann.  307k streams and a classical sounding track.
Snow, man.  Snow looks dope as hell.  Lovely harmonies and lyrics though.  I wish they would sing me to sleep each night.  I don't want to do another lullaby from that La Luna album, so we'll do their next most popular that isn't on that disc.  "Sacala del Estadio" from Activate has 83k streams.
I am going to assume that the song name means we're gonna party at the stadium.  No clue what is being said, but that is a fun little ditty with lots of traditional flavor.  I'm sure the kiddos will go crazy for some sweet bilingual action.  I hope so.

No comments: