Monday, August 29, 2022

Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats (2022)

One Liner: Soul revival masterminds who will hurt you with their live show

Wikipedia Genre: Soul, gospel, folk rock, blues, rock, cowpunk, Americana, blue-eyed soul
Home: Denver

Poster Position: 2
Both Weekends.  Friday.

Thoughts:  
I saw these dudes do a taping for the ACL television show, and it was just about one of the most fun shows I've ever seen.  Read about my full review here.  More energy than you'll know what to do with, and just absolutely a damn good time.  The radio has been hammering "S.O.B." for a while, "I Need Never Get Old" was getting play, and "Shake" had been on rotation here in Austin for a bit as well.  That first excellent album (2015's Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats) was all the rage for a while and got everyone hot and bothered for the soul revival.  Before we get to newer stuff, I'm just going to hammer those tracks for you to enjoy.  First, the original hit, "S.O.B.," which has 143.1 million streams.
The soulfulness of the tune, the humming intro, the breakdown jam, the recklessness of his voice, it just kicks ass.  Video is kinda cool too.  One of the best parts about these guys is that Rateliff had apparently been in music for years, but had just never been able to make it as a folky guy, but then hit on this retro soul sound and has exploded.  I love that, dogged success by going to something tried and true and making it sound new again.

Second offering is the one that they stepped to the stage with at the ACL taping, which just builds and rocks and requires some dancing.  "I Need Never Get Old," which has 55.7 million streams.
"I know that some will say, it matters but little babe, ah but come on and mean it to me, I need it so bad."  Classic sound.  So much tight energy.  You are going to love to see this one played live.  Because of Spotify, I buy so few actual CDs anymore, but I went out and bought this one as soon as I saw them play.  I needed the ability to listen even when in my ancient car.  Such a great disc.  "Howling at Nothing" ranks third in number of plays at right about 32.5 million, but I think I'd rather play "Wasting Time," which boasts some solid pedal steel.  21.8 million.
Nice little country lament.  And because I just discovered this and enjoyed it immensely, here is one of those NPR Tiny Desk concerts that you can go enjoy.
Although the muted horns aren't nearly as pleasing as when those cats play without abandon and just flex, this is still cool.  "Look it Here" sounds freaking so awesome (the second track).  I respect the fact that they skipped S.O.B. and just played "Mellow Out" instead, which fits that space so much better.  And that slightly sped up version is tight.  

2016 saw them release A Little Something More From.  This little EP has a few new tracks, a live version from their hit album, and some alternate versions.  It's not nearly as raucous and fun as the full album, but it still works well.  It matches up better with the mellow mood of "Wasting Time" or "Mellow Out."  Which is just fine and dandy with me.  I'll take it.  Top track is the opener, called "Parlor."  8.4 million streams.
More of the same, right?  Swinging and fun.  Next you get 2018's 
Tearing at the Seams.  Gimme some mo.  This album is a more chilled out vibe - none of these songs bring the raw thunder like "SOB" or "I Need Never Get Old."  But that isn't necessarily a bad thing, you get sweet mellowed vibes like "Coolin' Out" and "Hey Mama" instead.  Which each make me want to bite my lower lip and thrust my face forward repeatedly to the beat.  "Intro" is a little more excited, but literally sounds like the song a band plays when they are opening up a concert and just getting the crowd hyped up before kicking into the real music.  Doesn't hold a candle to the hype hits of the last album.  The top track is one that attempts a little more of that excitement, but honestly still holds back a little bit on fully going for it - "You Worry Me."  72.5 million streams.
Things that rule in this song - the voice, the bassline, the subtle horns/sax that mimic the guitar, the lyrics, the soft lilt in the vocals during the breakdown about 2/3 of the way through the song.  "Everybody wants the same thing..."  Good tune, good album.  Not great, but good enough for me to keep enjoying it for a while.

Before their final release, Rateliff did a solo album of his own, called And Its Still Alright, and I did not like it at all.  I was excited to check this one out, but this is a pretty lifeless, uninteresting slog of an album.  If you are expecting some of the rad, uptempo soul he does with the Night Sweats, you will be disappointed.  The top streamer is the title track.
Nope!

Finally, you get 2021's The Future.  I wish I was still in to this, but the schtick has worn thin for me now.  The opening track sounds like a shambling Dylan tune, except Rateliff can sing (mostly, sometimes in this song he just hollers at the top of his lungs like he just got bit by a rat).  The second track, "Survivor" has the most streams at 6.9 million (showing that the schtick has worn off with the wider public as well!).  But nothing on here is memorable at all.  Not like the best stuff from that first album.
That trainer kind of looks like the lady who played Wonder Woman back in the day. Not a bad song by any means, just kind of plodding during the verse and then a little too yell-y during the chorus. This will sound dumb, but it feels like they're trying to hard. Don't love it. I'll definitely let this album go - it will be a relief to remove it from the queue, as every time it pops up I feel resigned about having to do it again.

But I will say that I went to the new Moody Amphitheater a few months ago and caught this show for my third time to see them play live.  Even though I didn't love that most recent release, the dudes still put on a hell of a fun show.  Loads of energy to spare.  But the ACL taping is still one of the coolest shows I can think of.  My expectation here is that they will pretty much be the openers for The Chicks, so I'll either be doing Billy Strings or this show, depending on which is at the same stage as the Chicks.

No comments: