Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Sarah Kinsley

One Liner: Alternative pop with some catchy tunes and good lyrics

Wikipedia Genre: Alt pop.
Home: NYC

Poster Position: 26
Weekend Two Only.  Friday.

Thoughts:  Kinda reminds me of Fiona Apple.  But also is in the same lane as some of the other currently enjoyable indie rock ladies like Japanese Breakfast or Mitski.  She studied music theory at Columbia University, so she's a smart cookie.  She's lived in some different places, being born in California, growing up in Connecticut, then moving to Singapore prior to ending up in New York City.  She has since relocated to California to "escape the noise" of NYC.

No albums, just a few EPs and a bunch of singles.  The definite hit, which appears to have been a TikTok thing (of course) is "The King," with 32.1 million streams.  From her 2021 EP of the same name.  No other track comes close, and I can see why.  It is a legitimately good tune.
Sounds kind of like someone else's song at first, I can't put my finger on it but there is some other alternative music track that starts off that same way.  Like Cage the Elephant or something.  Wait, no, "Electric Love" from that BORNS guy.  That's the one.   Even without that comparison, this is a great love song with some good lyrics - "you said I was your second head, I knew exactly what you meant" is just perfection.  "Over + Under" makes me think of Maggie Rogers with those ahh ahh ahhhhhs.  "Karma" has the second-most streams, with 6.2 million (and it sort of reminds me of Fleetwood Mac if they had used a drum machine in their production).  But let's check out her new single to see what we think of that.  "Cypress" with 273k streams.
Definitely poppier, I like the older stuff better, but still catchy.  I don't normally care for pop music, but I've enjoyed listening to this stuff all day today.  "I'm Not a Mountain" is good stuff too - that might be where my Fiona Apple comparison started.  I'd go watch this.

No comments: